Author Topic: Philpot/Philpott - England to Australia 1861-1869  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Philpot/Philpott - England to Australia 1861-1869
« on: Saturday 22 December 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I’m wondering if anyone can find the following departing England, as I can’t locate them arriving here in Australia.

The family: Permanas c1828, Jane Margaret c1821, Edward 1850, Francis 1852, Julia 1854, Susan Elizabeth 1856, Maria Ann 1858.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Philpot/Philpott - England to Australia 1861-1869
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
You are probably the most experienced researcher on the Aus section of Rootschat and if you can't find them, what hope is there for the rest of us!
I found Julia Philpott's marriage to Samuel Woodford in QLD in 1869 so guess this is your outside limit, also the 1861 UK census for the family. Do you think that as the father was a labourer (birth certs) they were on some immigration scheme?
The death notices  on Trove for Jane Margaret in 1926 are telling.
I suppose one option is to purchase Parmenus (etc etc) death cert in NSW and see if that gives the number of years in the colony.
Good luck
shume  from australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I’m nowhere near one of the most experienced on the Aus board, but thanks for the compliment.  ;)

I was just thinking that there may be a way to find folk leaving the UK. I know nothing of records available from that end.

Yes, it should be after the 1861 census and up to 1869.

I couldn’t  see them on the QLD, NSW, VIC assisted immigration lists.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 18 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps this is the problem?
https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/2191/do-passenger-lists-for-departures-from-the-uk-exist-pre-1890

Answer: The FindMyPast lists come from series BT27 at The National Archives (for the UK, at Kew). The Catalogue notes for BT27 say "Lists earlier in date than 1890 have not survived."

shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 18 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps this is the problem?
https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/2191/do-passenger-lists-for-departures-from-the-uk-exist-pre-1890

Answer: The FindMyPast lists come from series BT27 at The National Archives (for the UK, at Kew). The Catalogue notes for BT27 say "Lists earlier in date than 1890 have not survived."

shume

Thank you, Shume.

Jamjar