Author Topic: Another C16th will  (Read 681 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another C16th will
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 December 18 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if it might be possible to have a suggestion for the first letter of the interlineated word after “church yard”.

As I see it, the first letter could be b or l, with some lesser chance of t.

The line to the left of the main vertical should belong to the f of of.

Like Bookbox I think it ends tte.  The fourth last letter is either o or e.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another C16th will
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 December 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks horsleydown86, I thought it looked like a “b”, but I am glad that my thoughts have been confirmed by an expert. I think that the place that is meant is “Bosworth”, though presumably it is either mis-spelled (like “newboll”) or something else odd is going on. I think it likely that the writer of this will was related to Robert Lee of Naneby, in fact the geography puts William Ley (the William of Robert’s will) in much the same geographical location - somewhere close to both Newbold Verdon and Kirkby Mallory is pretty close to Naneby. Nowhere else in the area seems to fit as well as “Bosworth” does, and Bosworth was where Robert Lee was buried, and it was also the only town of any size (though very small) near to Newbold. (I know the geography very well because it takes me not a lot over an hour to cycle here).

Best wishes,

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight