Author Topic: WW1 soldier Angus McLean died 1 July 1916 - born Portree but when? Can you help  (Read 1239 times)

Offline ewontner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

Am looking for some help researching an Angus McClean who is one of 305 men named on my workplace WW1 war memorial and one of only 3 men where I do not know the approximate date of birth.
I believe that he was born in Portree.
I also know from the Register of Army Effects that his father was Norman McLean and his brother was Neil McLean.
He must have been no later than 1900.
Prior to the war he worked for the Board of Trade and enlisted in Glasgow.
Would love to find him listed in local census and to find any descendants or relatives.

Here are some of details of who he served with and where he is remembered in France.

McLEAN   ANGUS   A         Private   16158   Highland Light Infantry   17th Bn.   France   01-07-1916   THIEPVAL MEMORIAL   Pier and Face 15 C.   

Thanks in advance for any help from Scottish records which I do not have access to.

Ed Osborne

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 soldier Angus McLean died 1 July 1916 - born Portree but when? Can you help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 December 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
There is this family in 1891. Can't see the 1901 yet and I only have access to the transcriptions. No Neil with the family but he may have been born later, A Norman and catherine are also named as parents on the service record of a William McLean of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders Regimental number   6292 who joined up in 1900 and was in S Africa.
2 Somerled Square Portree
Norman MacLean 36 House Carpenter
Catherine MacLean 31
William MacLean 10
Charles MacLean 8
John MacLean 6
Christy MacLean 4
Jessie MacLean    2
Angus MacLean 1
Christy Ferguson 16 servant
Alexander MacLean 40 visitor, cattle dealer
John Macdonald 37 lodger master mason
James Macdonald 24 lodger mason
Sandy Mackhil 25 lodger mason

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 soldier Angus McLean died 1 July 1916 - born Portree but when? Can you help
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 December 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
3, Portree, Invernessshire,
Catherine   MacLean   Wife   Married 41   
Charles son Single 18 Scholar   
John   son   Single 16   Postman (G P O)   
Christina daughter 14 Scholar   
Jessie daughter   12   Scholar   
Angus MacLean   son 10 Scholar   
Margaret   daughter 8 Scholar   
Archie son   7 Scholar   
Neil   son 5 Scholar   
Mary   daughter 3   
Nora   daughter 1

Norman isn't with them

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 December 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
On scotlandspeople's website there is only 1 Angus MacLean's birth registered in Portree in 1880. It costs 6 credits to download a copy of the birth which will give full information on his parentage etc. Note that in the censuses & scotlandspeople the names is shown as MacLean & not McLean.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 December 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks in advance for any help from Scottish records which I do not have access to.
Actually, you have exactly the same access to Scottish records as everyone else: www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ewontner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for their comments. Am looking into the suggested census records and think that it is highly likely the suggested 1891 and 1901 censuses are correct.

In meantime I have also come across a Facebook post by the Great Book of Skye which gives more pointers to the MacLean family from Portree. It seems they were quite a prominent family. A son Angus is named as dying in WW1. Hoping this is same man I am looking into.

Christmas has come early!  ::)