Author Topic: Stuart and Mumford - Canada: dated 1880s; different women?  (Read 909 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Stuart and Mumford - Canada: dated 1880s; different women?
« on: Saturday 22 December 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I am sorting my photographs and came across three women.  The photo on the left (I've posted her before) is my great-grandmother, Dora Emmeline Stuart.  The photo on the right is supposedly my great-grandmother as well.  The photo in the middle is supposedly my great-great-aunt (Carrie Mumford - sister-in-law of Dora Stuart).

Carrie and Dora appear to have similar jewellery.  To me, the women in the centre and right photos look somewhat alike.  Opinions would be gratefully appreciated on whether the left and right photos are the same woman and the centre one is a different person, or, could all of the photos be of the same person.

Perhaps the women were given similar jewellery and they are two people who just look somewhat alike?

Would anyone be able to suggest roughly when the photos were taken, please?  (Dora was born circa 1861.  Carrie was born in 1858.)  It has been suggested that the left photo was taken mid-1880s.

Thank you for any guidance.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart and Mumford photographs: dated 1880s; different women?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
They do look alike but 1 and 3 look to have lighter eyes than the one in the middle. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
1. 1880's
2. 1870's.
So 2 could be 1 as a younger woman.
3 I think is someone else. The shape of face & nose are different.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm with Jim, 1 and 2 the same person at different ages.i remember doing Dora some time ago
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 December 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Lovely pics so thought I recognised them:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=787705.0

and more specifically here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=787705.msg6432575#msg6432575

Christmas Greetings, Lisa  :-*

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I think 1 and 3 are same person as very light eyes.  Her face fuller in 3rd one as older.  2 photo girl is much darker eyes and hair so probably is the sister in law as you said.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 December 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much.  I am quite thankful for the guidance and wonderful help in the past as well as today.

A few years ago, a relative shared the photographs with my aunt.  Yesterday I was placing the photos in archival-safe sleeves and noticed the notation on the back of No. 2 photo stating that she was Carrie.  No. 2 does seem to have darker eyes than No. 1 and No. 3 which fits in with the Mumford family as most of the family members that I knew also had brown eyes.  However, a couple of you think No. 1 and No. 2 are the same person which means that the person who identified Carrie wrote down the incorrect name (that happens).

I will try to find out who has the original photographs; perhaps she may have more and only gave my aunt the "best" photos.  If I find anything further, I will let you know the results.

Gadget, thank you for mentioning the Dora Stuart thread.  I forgot that I posted that one.  :-[  During the past year I have been trying to sort/clean up all of my genealogy paperwork/photos and one thing that will be very helpful to me will be to start a spreadsheet of any threads that I post or have posted.  I look forward to rereading the thread; again thank you for reminding me.

Like a lot of people may be experiencing these days, the past year and a half has been challenging for me and genealogy and kind RootsChatters brighten my day.  Thank you and I also wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart and Mumford - Canada: dated 1880s; different women?
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 December 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
It would take a while, Lisa, but if you want to check your previous posts, you could look through this listing:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=79680

It will show all the posts that you've made and I'm not sure if it can be narrowed down but maybe you might look at the posts for the last couple of years or so.

Gadget xx
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart and Mumford - Canada: dated 1880s; different women?
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 December 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget - thank you for suggesting that method.  I will want to gather all of the posts I've made.  Earlier this year, I started a tree on one of the pay sites (my previous/only tree was on paper - yes - paper - shows you how long I've been researching  ;D ) and I may find in the posts additional facts to add to my online tree if I reread my posts.

Thank you again, Lisa.