Author Topic: Possible Vickery photos  (Read 1049 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Vickery photos
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Some thoughts on the soldier.
As this portrait was among possible VICKERY photos, I have taken some leaps of assumption.

Likely he was related to VICKERY and had their surname.

Alan John VICKERY was the son of Joseph and Emily VICKERY and grandson of Ebenezer VICKERY.

Enlisted aged 20 .He was awarded The Military Medal.

The picture looks like a 20 year old with blue eyes which fits the description in his military record.

The photograph was taken at the Eden Studios which was an extremely upmarket establishment.  The VICKERYs were wealthy business people capable of patronising such a place.

Here is newspaper picture of Joseph VICKERY, the father of the soldier taken in more recent times and published in 1930 when he died.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16673671

Information about these people can be found in Trove Newspaper Archive and National Archives of Australia.
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Vickery photos
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 January 19 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sue... I finally managed to get into some more research and your comments all make sense to me... yes this was a wealthy family, so that fits with the upmarket photography establishment... I have been checking the various photos of Joseph Vickery etc and managing to build more detail into this branch of the family.
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia