Author Topic: DNAPainter and myheritageDNA anomaly - help please  (Read 407 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DNAPainter and myheritageDNA anomaly - help please
« on: Sunday 23 December 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been using DNA painter for a while now, but as I have had limited success in finding confirmed matches anywhere but Ancestry, I have had limited success with it.

Now I have four matches for my husband from the same line, but at different stages.  One is a great niece, one a second cousin, one a third cousin, the last one a fourth cousin, from paper research.

In DNA painter they show up as matches on some segments, as I was painting the latest one in (3rd cousin) I was alerted to the fact that it overlapped 2 other matches (interestingly not with his great niece, with whom he shares 935 cMs​ over 27 segments, largest segment 114.4 cMs).

2nd cousin isn't at myheritage, the other three are. They are not shown as matches to each other at all.  How come?

I must admit to not fully understanding chromosome matching, partly because of such limited experience in finding valid matches to paint in

If DNAPainter can find a match between them, why can't myheritage?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNAPainter help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
The best way to compare them all would be at Gedmatch where you could do a one-to-one comparison between them.

How big do you think this overlapping segment is?  Is it on a known pile-up region? 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DNAPainter and myheritageDNA anomaly - help please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hurworth, I haven't had much luck in persuading people to upload to Gedmatch. The second cousin being one exception, which is why I can paint his details into DNAPainter to compare with the other​ two.

You can compare up to 7 matches directly at myheritage.
Here is what it says -
A and B share 27 segments (gt niece)
A and C share 4 segments (3rd cousin)
A and D share 4 segments (4th cousin)

'A and all of the selected matches share no triangulated segments'

Remove great niece, so left with 3rd cousin and 4th cousin.

A and C share 4 segments
A and D share 4 segments

'A and all of the selected matches share no triangulated segments'

Yet DNAPainter picked them up as overlapping straightaway. And I can plainly see that C shares 26.9 cMs and D shares 6.3 cMs at the same place on Chr 2.

Great niece B shares most DNA with 2nd cousin C, who isn't at myheritage, unfortunately.

I now realise that my problem is more with myheritage than DNAPainter, so have modified the Subject title.

Regards Margaret
 :) :) :) :) :) :)
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNAPainter and myheritageDNA anomaly - help please
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Does myheritage take note of something else?

These people are all clearly related to my husband through documented paper trails. I cannot see why myheritageDNA doesn't recognise them as shared matches, whilst DNAPainter does.

The group as a whole don't fully triangulate, i.e. all four do not match together in the same place on the same segment anywhere.

Regards Margaret

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 December 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a match whose DNA results are on FTDNA, Gedmatch and Gedmatch genesis.  Only one segment but reasonable size.  The source for the gedmatch and gg segment is ancestry.  I have painted all three and they are all slightly different, but the biggest and very obvious difference is that the GG segment has been split in two, with a big gap in the middle.   Possibly MH are using some sort of similar matching system where they know there's a bit of a fuzzy possibly might possibly might not area in the segment(s) and they're erring on the conservative side.

Just a thought.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Extra
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility -

Could some of the segments be on different sides of the same chromosome?

(2 sides to every chromosome -  two people would need to match on the same side as well as the same segment of the same chromosome).

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 December 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Carmella, myheritage knows no more than I do whether these segments or maternal or paternal. So I don't think that is the reason.

However, I know that they are all maternal matches from paper trail.

Regards Margaret
 :) :)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
3 useful YouTube links to films about DNAPainter, a presentation from the developer, Jonny Perl (5 minutes) ; one from Blaine Bettinger about its use (40 minutes) ; and an interview with Blaine (10 minutes).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=--lRrbazUI4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wyjcJxywTZI&t=2s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unGRx3d-Lw0&t=1s

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 January 19 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Martin, I'll take a look later. Your links invariably prove to be interesting.

However, I think the 'problem' is more with myheritage than DNAPainter, unfortunately.
 :)

Regards Margaret