Author Topic: Cant find a family called... Griffiths on 1901 Wales census through Ancestry.Com  (Read 1303 times)

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Well heres a challenge!
I'm stuck. I have a copy of an entry on the 1911 census England and Wales for David Griffiths and his family. I have an Ancestry.Co.Uk subscription
David Griffiths a Collier b. Glamorganshire  age 57. Wife Harriet age 45 (3) born Glamorgan Aberdare
Son Daniel T Griffiths age 15 a collier born Glam. Blaengarw
Dau. Emily12 b. Pontypridd
Elizabeth A. age 9 b. Ystradyfodwg
Mary age 9 also Ystradyfodwg who is our ancestor who married Henry East. I have that marriage cert.
The address in 1911 is 37 David Street, Blaengarw, Glamorgan. RG14/ piece 32543 Schedule No. 467

I can locate Daniel T. Griffiths on Findmypast b. in 1896 on the 1901 census in the search but I dont have a subscription to Findmypast.  As a pensioner I cant pay to join more search engines. Try as I might I cant find the entry with Ancestry.Com. I suspect there is some kind of ****up with a transcription error.
I cant find the marriage for David and Harriot Griffiths either. I looked on Free BMD and minusing the 21 yrs they say they have been married I would have thought the Neath entry Griffiths Phillips would be correct but it isnt. Census entries show this couple in Resolven in 1901 and 1911 so they are not right. :-\
As for the 1891 census because I dont have the marriage I cant do much with that either and they may not be there as a married couple. There are scores of  David Griffiths.
Ystradyfodwg..is never used as an administrative district since when, people know this as the Rhondda Valleys ...The South Wales coalfield.
Always Happy to do look ups for others if someone can dig me out of this 'pit' !
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find a family called... Griffiths on 1901 Wales census through Ancestry.Com
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 18 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi try Daniel T Griffith b 1896

Keyboard86
Census ref RG13/4997/118/38

Daniel T Griffiths has mmn Kinsey, look for marriage Kinsey/Kingsey as the mother in law Ann KINGSEY is with them in 1901.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find a family called... Griffiths on 1901 Wales census through Ancestry.Com
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 December 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
 :) I really became intrigued by this one with the married 21 years on 1911 for David & Harriet Griffiths with only 4 children born, I think the marriage of Harriet Kinsey to David HOWELLS Dec qtr 1890 Bridgend led me back to Harriet b 1867.
In 1891 Harriet Howells Married 21? b Aberdare has a daughter Deborah Kinsey aged 2
No mmn at registration, who is with a William Williams and family aged 13 Niece in 1901 RG13/5043/74/69
Keyboard86

PS Mary Griffiths b June qtr 1904 Pontypridd mmn Kinsey.

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks keyboard for this help. So Harriet was born Kinsey, married Howells and then David Griffith(s). I could only find the family through Ancestry through the mother in law Ann Kinsey and the son of David and Harriet Daniel Thomas.. I couldnt see the Kinsey connection
I had my suspicions on the 1911 census as the couple were quite old, saying they were narried 21 years and having four children the eldest being 15. I still dont know where David John Griffith(s) came from as I cant make an entry fit with him. Im on my iPad so cant remember my passwrd to get to the image but I believe the 1901 census states he came from Risca in Monmouthshire.
Another puzzle I have.. Mary Griffiths married Henry East in Bridgend 1923. henrys grandfather Alfred East married Esther Ann Nash, both of Gloucestershire.she marries James Roberts in 1880 in westbury on Severn. On the 1881 census she is found with James Roberts and her two children Henry and Ruth living in Cinderford.. But Alfred is still alive in the 1881 census he has gone back to Lower Guiting and is boarding with a family called Smith and is desc. As married, he dies later that year.
James Roberts is gone by 1991 and Esther Ann marries a George Pantin/ Ponting under the surname East...what was she up to? She clearly left Alfred East and took her children, but did she commit bigamy and then try and cover up the marriage to Roberts by reverting to East because she knew Alfred East had died.
One thing I have discovered is that a miners life was a short and dangerous one. The families moved about a lot. Welsh names are a nightmare and their lives far more complex than my rural Sussex ancestors. Mortality was high and health and welfare for all was very poor. Yet, much improved the terraced houses the miners families lived in built into the hillsides of the valleys still stand. Your help is much appreciated. M. Ann.
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I am suggesting that possibly David Howells is David Griffiths, the marriage date matches a 21 year marriage?
Merry Christmas
Keyboard86

The Williams family comprise the sister & brother of Harriett.
William Williams married Elizabeth Kinsey.

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Again many thanks Keystone86, you maybe right David Howells may be David Griffiths but I am unlikely to be able to trace him back. Wonder why he would change his name?
As for my bigamy theory on Esther ( nee Nash) East, Roberts and Ponting/ Pantin Ill have to get the Westbury on Severn certificate. Perhaps in an age without telephone, computer and even efficent post joined up services were rudimentary and peoples lies might not find them out..marriages indeed broke down as they do today and second or third marriages may have indeed happened as an economic conveneience without ceremony or legality Im sure.  Hey, ho.
Enjoy your Boxing Day.