Author Topic: RAF personal on no records  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RAF personal on no records
« on: Sunday 23 December 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello People,

Despite my best efforts, I am having real problems finding my grandfather on any lists / rolls and so on. I have checked the AIR 78 from the NA, also nothing.  Even though he was in the RAF from 42-45. He was an air mechanic and served in India and Burma. I have a full album of his time there. However, I find no information on him, even though I have his service number. He had numerous photos of the 101s, I assume not in it.1496031.

I know the MOD should have his service record, he has been dead since 25 years, but there should be something on him. Were there different rules for personal that were not direct in combat ? Any help would be appreciated.

Norris Dawson
Born. Idle, Bradford

Regards

Luke

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: RAF personal on no records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 December 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I have asked for your post to be moved to our WW2 Board as they may be better able to help you.

Perhaps you would need to send for his service record from the MOD.

Good Luck

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 December 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
There are the following records on the Forces War Records site - my subscription for this has lapsed so I cannot look at the actual records themselves, just the search screen...
N  Dawson   Temporary Flight Lieutenant  1943  Administrative And Special Duties... 
N J  Dawson   War Substantive Flying Officer  1942  Administrative And Special Duties... 

Are you sure the service number is correct? I did a search just on this number (1496031) in FindMyPast and it came back with a record for a W. Tomlinson-Boyce?

Cheers
Kev 

Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 December 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong, but that service number looks a bit long for the date he joined the RAF.  Might be worth checking it out;  I thought about that time they were still six digits.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 December 18 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for posting in the wrong area.

I will check his number again, but I think it is correct. He was certainly in India at the latest end of 1942. I think he was there somewhat earlier.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 December 18 05:13 GMT (UK) »
All service records for 1920 onwards* are held by the Ministry of Defence, and are not available anywhere else despite the claims made by certain commercial websites.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

If you're not sure of his service number, give them his full date of birth (and National Insurance number if known).  There's a £30 charge (non-refundable) which must be paid by cheque when you apply.

Good luck :)

Carol

*added - including non-combatants -

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 December 18 07:05 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have this already, there are photos of LAC Norris Dawson and his brother Sam (a Private in the Black Watch) in the Shipley Times and Express of 9 June 1943, page 13: ""Idle Salvation Army Bandsmen in the Forces".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 December 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have this already, there are photos of LAC Norris Dawson and his brother Sam (a Private in the Black Watch) in the Shipley Times and Express of 9 June 1943, page 13: ""Idle Salvation Army Bandsmen in the Forces".

Hello Shaun,

I did not know this. Where did you get this from ? I have found no info here. These are my lot.

Thanks a lot for that.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 December 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Here are links to the article:

On FindMyPast https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001711%2f19430609%2f102

On BNA: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001711/19430609/102/0013

Both are subscription sites. If you search you will find a few more mentions of Norris Dawson in the newspapers. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk