Author Topic: 1828 Bellie, Moray - Can a father be a witness at his son's Baptism?  (Read 986 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1828 Bellie, Moray - Can a father be a witness at his son's Baptism?
« on: Sunday 23 December 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
James Edgar (b 1801 Gladsmuir, East Lothian) and Anne Watt had a son, James, on 20 September 1828 and he was baptised at Bellie, Moray on 28 September.  The witnesses were Alexander Grieve? (difficult to see on image) and James Edgar.

I would love for this James to be a family member from East Lothian, but just wanted to check that the father, James, couldn't have been the witness named.

I would really appreciate your expertise and knowledge!

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1828 Bellie, Moray - Can a father be a witness at his son's Baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 December 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Unless he was absent or under church discipline, the father normally presented the child for baptism (i.e. was the "sponsor"). I have never come across an instance where the father was recorded as a witness, although I have sometimes seen the minister as a witness. It's a pity that no address is given for the witnesses. What was the reason for James Edgar moving from Lothian to Moray?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 December 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
There was one other James born East Lothian.

EDGAR   JAMES   WILLIAM EDGAR/ISOBELL PRINGLE    M   29/09/1793   Tranent
EDGAR   JAMES   JOHN EDGAR/MARY BAILLER    M   28/01/1801   Gladsmuir

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 December 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Unless he was absent or under church discipline, the father normally presented the child for baptism (i.e. was the "sponsor"). I have never come across an instance where the father was recorded as a witness, although I have sometimes seen the minister as a witness. It's a pity that no address is given for the witnesses. What was the reason for James Edgar moving from Lothian to Moray?
Hi GR2, we're not sure why he would have moved but the baptism record has 'GCE' annoted at the end and I wondered whether that could mean 'Gordon Castle Estate'.  In the 1841c he and his family (now 4 children) are living in High Street, Forres, he is shown as a Coachman.  In 1851c he is he noted as a Labourer but in 1861c he is aged 60 and a Church Officer.  On the death of his daughter Mary Ann in 1876 he is noted as a Farmer.

Addition- on the baptim of Mary Ann in 1839 he was shown as a Hostler.

I look forward to seeking out the witness, James  :)

Thanks for your interest, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 December 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
There was one other James born East Lothian.

EDGAR   JAMES   WILLIAM EDGAR/ISOBELL PRINGLE    M   29/09/1793   Tranent
EDGAR   JAMES   JOHN EDGAR/MARY BAILLER    M   28/01/1801   Gladsmuir

Colin
Hi Colin, I had noted that there were a number of Edgar families in the East Lothian area and have yet to progress any serious research in that direction. 

Having seen the baptism record for James 1801 we presume that James was the son of John and Mary Baillie (or Bailler).  I really appreciate you identifying another James born in and around the same area just a few years earlier.  Maybe William and John are related.  Something to get my teeth into in the New Year.

Thanks, Kit