Author Topic: Benjamin Morris married Sarah Nee cadish married 26 July 1879 Lomza, Poland  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Big ask .. I wonder if there are any contacts out there who may be able to support Jewish ancestry ?

My 2 x grt grandparents were Jewish immigrants and I have picked up a little of there settlement in England which can be shared.. I found that they were married in Poland on 26th July 1879 in the town of Lomza in Poland identified as Russian subjects.

Through some research there are name variants of the Sarah as in Cardish, Kaddish, Cadish but it may be the original name Kadysz .. Sarah may be an English name used so original forename is questionable .... Benjamin I noted was listed as Benas in a marriage cert of one of his daughters .. I understand Hebrew for Benjamin ... I also noted that it could be the family original name is Mendel ...maybe a clue to Benjamin’s surname ..
All ifs and buts however the fact that the marriage is confirmed date and town I wonder if this may be a clue to further info..
Fingers crossed
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Scott Morland
Nz

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Morris married Sarah Nee cadish married 26 July 1879 Lomza, Poland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 December 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
https://www.jewishgen.org/
https://jri-poland.org/

You will need to sign up to access some databases but JewishGen is an excellent starting point, hopefully you can find some pointers to original documents from Lomza.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure how big Lomza is - but this is possibly a tree from Lomza that may be connected to yours ?
https://gw.geneanet.org/mlomagno?n=kadysz&oc=&p=icko+yitzchok

born 1840 in Stawiski , Lomza - married in Sniadowo , Lomza - so I presume Lomza is a region ?

there are a few Kadysz born in Stawiski mid 1800s - I wonder if that village has a website ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Be careful about the spelling.  The Polish alphabet has letters that don't exist in English.  The name is  correctly written Łomża, not Lomza.  The Ł with a line through it is pronounced like W in English, and ż with a dot on top is pronounced "zh", so the town sounds like "Wom-zha".  Wikipedia says the population varied over time: about 1,500 people in 1808; about 5,900 in 1827; about 22,000 in 1921; and about 63,000 today.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scott,

If I understand you correctly, you have the original marriage certificate in Russian. This makes things a bit trickier, because the original rendering in Polish has been transliterated into Russian. From 1868 to 1918/9, all vital records in Poland were in Russian.

UPDATE: I see from one of your earlier posts that the date and place of marriage were recorded on the birth cert of their daughter, Leah. Can you please post a snippet of the image here?

You have to think phonetically, but Kadysz is the most likely Polish spelling of the Anglicised form Cadish. A kadish is a traditional Hebrew prayer for the dead.

Yiddish forms of Sarah are Sore, Sora, Sure, etc.

Benjamin's Anglicised surname Morris is most commonly linked to the Hebrew name Mosheh, i.e. Moses. Where have you come across the link to Mendel?

Justin

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi team, I would like to share a little more on my Links to the Morris family and reaching out to the forum for any further possible direction. Benjamin Morris and Sarah Caddish (Various spellings) were married in the Town of Lomza in Poland on 26th July 1879.
Listed as Russian Subjects in Census info 1891,1901,1911..
The family listed in 1911 census makes reference that 11 children were born and at the time of 1911 census there were 8 listed as living. The family from what is noted on census or in fact BDM certs acquired from UK GRO / Scotlands Peoples web site shows the following
I have connections to the descendants of the sisters Minnie, Fanny  Jinnie (Jane)  Morris and some info has been shared ... a few images shared also.
I would love to understand more of this family..
Benjamin & Sarah are identified as my 2 x grt Grandparents.
My challenge is that one of the three males in the family is my Grt Grandfather. Charles, Harry or Lazarus .. My DNA confirms with overwhelming evidence that this is my family and proved through the links that I have with the descendants of the three Morris sisters mentioned in the family... My DNA links me to other matched DNA cousins not in the Morris family however are common links to us all dna cousins and so all related..
The power of science through DNA has taken my ancestry hunt to a new level.
My Gran who was adopted  ... Original name "Jane Morris Palmer" - I have much information on her natural mothers side and I am seeking closure on the long running mystery of my Grans fathers roots.. I have a great start and learning much but I would love to take it further .. I appreciate any help

1891 - Family living in Leeds
Name Benj Morriss Age 29
Name Sarah Morriss Age 28
Name Gertie Morriss Age 11
Name Harry Morriss Age 6
Name Jane Morriss Age 3
Name Leah Morriss Age 1

1901 - Family living in Sheffield
Household Members
Name Benjamin Morris Age 39
Name Betsey (Sarah) Morris Age 40
Name Charlie Morris Age 19
Name Harry Morris Age 14
Name Jane (Jinnie) Morris Age 13
Name Miance (Minnie) Morris Age 9
Name Fanny Morris Age 6
Name Lazerow (Lazerus) Morris Age  2
Name Rosey (Rosa) Morris Age 6/12

1911 - family living in Northampton
Household Members
Name Benjamin Morris Age 49
Name Sarah Morris Age 50
Name Minnie Morris Age 18
Name Fanny Morris Age 16
Name Lazeron (Lazerus) Morris Age 12
Name Rosie Morris Age 10

Father / Head - Benjamin Benas Morris
BIRTH ABT 1862 • Russian Subjt, Poland
DEATH 15 MAR 1921 • royal infirmary, Liverpool Lancashire, England

Mother / Wife - Sarah (Betsey) Cardish, Caddish (Kaddish)
BIRTH ABT 1861 • Russian Subjt, Poland
DEATH AFT. 1921 • England

Both Benjamin and Sarah were married on 26th July in LOMZA, POLAND  (Noted on Leahs birth Cert - Scottish Birth cert commonly lists the marriage of the parents

Children of Benjamin Morris and Sarah Caddish (various transcriptions)
1. Unknown Morris 1 - Born outside UK - Presumed died outside UK  (1911 Census mention and clues picked up over 3 census)
2. Unknown Morris 2 - Born outside UK - Presumed died outside UK (1911 Census mention and clues picked up over 3 census)
3. Gertrude Gertie Morris
BIRTH ABT. 1880 • Poland (Census clue 1891 noted 11 years old living in Leeds and birth Poland) DEATH Unknown (Presume in UK) Note Gertie is not listed in the 1901 census - Presume - Fled the nest before 1901
4. Charles (Charlie) Morris
BIRTH ABT 1882 • Russian Subjt, Poland DEATH Unknown. (Presume in UK)
5. Harry Morris
BIRTH ABT. 1886 • Manchester, Lancashire, England DEATH Unknown (Presume in UK) Note after much research I cannot see a birth for Harry and wonder if he was born before family reach UK
6. Jane Jinnie Morris
BIRTH ABT 1889 • Manchester, Lancashire, England Or Poland DEATH Unknown. (Presume in UK) Note after much research I cannot see a birth for Jane and wonder if she was born before family reach UK
7. Leah Morris
1890–1891
BIRTH 19 APR 1890 • Greenock, Scotland
DEATH 13 APRIL 1891 • Concord Street, North, Leeds, Yorkshire, England (Note makes the census 1891 just)
I suspect the family arrived in UK and may have started off in Scotland .. Leah Morris I suspect was the first born in UK..Sadly dies just short of one year in Leeds
8. Minnie Morris
BIRTH 27 MAY 1892 • Leeds
DEATH SEP 1979 • Warrington, Cheshire, England
9. Fanny Morris
BIRTH 18 JAN 1895 • Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding
DEATH 04 DEC 1975 • Canada
10. Lazarus Morris
BIRTH 28 SEP 1898 • 4 Court, Solly Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
DEATH ABT. 1961 (Think this may be the death to confirm)
11. Rosie Rosa Morris
BIRTH 28 SEP 1900 • Sheffield
DEATH JUN 1982 • Liverpool, Merseyside, England

Guys, This is a great site and I have been interested in much of what has been posted with some great stories shared. I understand one of three males would be my grt grandfather and wonder if anyone of experience may hold info in direction to understand Charles, Harry or Lazarus movements and fates in life..

Thank you
Scott Morland
New Zealand

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I have marriage details for Minnie, Jinnie (Jane), Fanny Morris who they married if this helps .. I wonder where Gertrude (Gertie) ended up also

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scott,

If I understand you correctly, you have the original marriage certificate in Russian. This makes things a bit trickier, because the original rendering in Polish has been transliterated into Russian. From 1868 to 1918/9, all vital records in Poland were in Russian.

UPDATE: I see from one of your earlier posts that the date and place of marriage were recorded on the birth cert of their daughter, Leah. Can you please post a snippet of the image here?

You have to think phonetically, but Kadysz is the most likely Polish spelling of the Anglicised form Cadish. A kadish is a traditional Hebrew prayer for the dead.

Yiddish forms of Sarah are Sore, Sora, Sure, etc.

Benjamin's Anglicised surname Morris is most commonly linked to the Hebrew name Mosheh, i.e. Moses. Where have you come across the link to Mendel?

Justin

Will do Justin regards the birth certificate with marriage ... bare with me ... the link to Mendel was strange as it was identified on a birth certificate of one of there children .. the inconsistencies were a few throughout the various census info and birth certs .. x marks were used and maiden name Kaddish was various spellings but Sarah used Mendel in one and I wondered if she mistakenly referred to a name that coulda may have been married name previous before Morris ?

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 07:34 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure how big Lomza is - but this is possibly a tree from Lomza that may be connected to yours ?
https://gw.geneanet.org/mlomagno?n=kadysz&oc=&p=icko+yitzchok

born 1840 in Stawiski , Lomza - married in Sniadowo , Lomza - so I presume Lomza is a region ?

there are a few Kadysz born in Stawiski mid 1800s - I wonder if that village has a website ?

Brilliant finds and leads thank u very much