Author Topic: Barbara J Hilton  (Read 889 times)

Online avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara J Hilton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Possible first husband? Walter Charles Hilton died in Liverpool S, Dec qtr 1957 aged 79.

BUT - probate granted to Edith Mary Hilton, widow, so not an obvious match.  Looks like the wrong generation.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Another tree shows Margery Ada Shaw b 11.11. 1927 Yorkshire (not Worksop obviously but maybe close?)
She marries as Marjorie A in Thanet, Kent in 1949 and dies in Australia.

It is getting a bit confusing now  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Possible first husband? Walter Charles Hilton died in Liverpool S, Dec qtr 1957 aged 79.

BUT - probate granted to Edith Mary Hilton, widow, so not an obvious match.  Looks like the wrong generation.

The 1949 marriage was to a Hilda Shaw.  Either way I think this is a false trail.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
So the short birth cert in the name of Barbara Hilton which she ordered for herself (Dec qtr 1927 W Derby district) perfectly corroborates the 2 Dec 1927 birthdate used by “Margery A Shaw”?

If so that suggests to me that she was born and registered as Barbara Hilton, somebody renamed her Margery A Shaw (perhaps through formal or informal adoption), and she reverted to her birth name when she reached 21.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
She was possibly an evacuee in Monmouth in September 1939.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes it’s a pity other children’s names can’t be seen, in case she was evacuated with a sibling.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
A 12 year old evacuee is a most interesting concept, and certainly an excellent reason for putting her name into all her possessions.

Furthermore, I never thought that early birth records could be adjusted after the event, so as the short birth cert in the name of Barbara Hilton perfectly corroborates the 2 Dec 1927 birth date used by “Margery A Shaw” it does seem quite acceptable that she may have initially been born and registered as Barbara Hilton, and was then renamed by adoptive parents as Margery A Shaw.  It is equally conceivable that as suggested, she reverted to her birth name when she reached 21.

That being so, I have to remain rather skeptical about the marriage of a Hilda Shaw to a Walter C Hilton in 1949, but I am not prepared to dismiss it entirely at present for there may be further supporting evidence.  I would need to know far more about the 1949 Shaw to Hilton name change or possibly a name reversal before making that decision.

And I thought this was going to be a quiet and rather uninteresting day before Christmas!

Regards Roy G

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 December 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
The original full GRO cert for B Hilton mmn Hilton (Dec qtr 1927) would give you her mother's name. I think it should also indicate "adopted" if a formal adoption took place.

PB  :)
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again  :)

It appears that the code connected to the 1939 Register entry might signify a change of name by deed poll. I believe DMS is a location in Surrey.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738645.0

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada