Author Topic: Barbara J Hilton  (Read 7728 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara J Hilton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Possible first husband? Walter Charles Hilton died in Liverpool S, Dec qtr 1957 aged 79.

BUT - probate granted to Edith Mary Hilton, widow, so not an obvious match.  Looks like the wrong generation.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Another tree shows Margery Ada Shaw b 11.11. 1927 Yorkshire (not Worksop obviously but maybe close?)
She marries as Marjorie A in Thanet, Kent in 1949 and dies in Australia.

It is getting a bit confusing now  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Possible first husband? Walter Charles Hilton died in Liverpool S, Dec qtr 1957 aged 79.

BUT - probate granted to Edith Mary Hilton, widow, so not an obvious match.  Looks like the wrong generation.

The 1949 marriage was to a Hilda Shaw.  Either way I think this is a false trail.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:56 GMT (UK) »
So the short birth cert in the name of Barbara Hilton which she ordered for herself (Dec qtr 1927 W Derby district) perfectly corroborates the 2 Dec 1927 birthdate used by “Margery A Shaw”?

If so that suggests to me that she was born and registered as Barbara Hilton, somebody renamed her Margery A Shaw (perhaps through formal or informal adoption), and she reverted to her birth name when she reached 21.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
She was possibly an evacuee in Monmouth in September 1939.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes it’s a pity other children’s names can’t be seen, in case she was evacuated with a sibling.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 December 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
A 12 year old evacuee is a most interesting concept, and certainly an excellent reason for putting her name into all her possessions.

Furthermore, I never thought that early birth records could be adjusted after the event, so as the short birth cert in the name of Barbara Hilton perfectly corroborates the 2 Dec 1927 birth date used by “Margery A Shaw” it does seem quite acceptable that she may have initially been born and registered as Barbara Hilton, and was then renamed by adoptive parents as Margery A Shaw.  It is equally conceivable that as suggested, she reverted to her birth name when she reached 21.

That being so, I have to remain rather skeptical about the marriage of a Hilda Shaw to a Walter C Hilton in 1949, but I am not prepared to dismiss it entirely at present for there may be further supporting evidence.  I would need to know far more about the 1949 Shaw to Hilton name change or possibly a name reversal before making that decision.

And I thought this was going to be a quiet and rather uninteresting day before Christmas!

Regards Roy G

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 December 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
The original full GRO cert for B Hilton mmn Hilton (Dec qtr 1927) would give you her mother's name. I think it should also indicate "adopted" if a formal adoption took place.

PB  :)
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again  :)

It appears that the code connected to the 1939 Register entry might signify a change of name by deed poll. I believe DMS is a location in Surrey.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738645.0

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada