Author Topic: Barbara J Hilton  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara J Hilton
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
To Ray

Way back you wrote,
There is an online tree. (ie public) Middle name "Joanna" adding who she married and that the tree had young parents listed who were not Hiltons.  You followed this by asking what would I like you to do, explaining that if you posted that information, it would be in public view.

My opinion (which I should have voiced at the time) is that as she was born in 1927, the parents shown on the tree were certainly born over 100 years ago, so there should be no offence incurred if you revealed those details.  Furthermore, if that tree is in public view as you say, would there be any objection to revealing the name of the person who posted it? 

If you still feel uncomfortable doing so openly here, you do have an e-mail address for me, so you can as an alternative, send a short summary or screen shot to me privately. 

I hope I am not asking too much.

Regards Roy G

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy,

The tree I can see has very little information and is not supported with evidence.
It just shows Barbara Joanna Hilton date of birth as previously given here and death in 2012 in Scotland.
Parents are shown as Joseph Shaw (1910 - ) and Jones (1911 -).

Then there is mention of the death of her husband in 1991.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 06:29 GMT (UK) »
You mention Barbara being a nurse. I can’t see her name in Nurses records for that time.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
It appears that the code connected to the 1939 Register entry might signify a change of name by deed poll. I believe DMS is a location in Surrey.

Yes - "DMS" is Reigate.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood,

The term nurse appeared on Barbara's marriage registration.  From what I can gather from talking to the descendants, hers was a more caring role somewhere, so she may not have been a nurse with an official qualification.

Anyway, the picture that seems to be emerging is that Joseph Shaw and somebody Jones were the couple that adopted her.  Unfortunately, the Shaw with Jones combo as married couples on FreeBMD is quite extensive, but at least its another brick to build the wall with.

Does the tree submitted by a mystery person show anything else on Shaw and Jones, such as other children, for that might help in the couple's eventual identification?

Regards Roy G

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
No other information and I would guess the names may be made up.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I believe the supposed Shaw/Jones nexus means someone has alighted on the Jun qtr 1928 Liverpool birth registration of M D Shaw, mmn Jones (first name is indexed but she may still be alive). 

We already know I think that it is the wrong registration, because the Dec qtr 1927 W Derby birth certificate has been inherited.  In that case the public tree information can be disregarded.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I agree with avm228.  The Dec birth date you have does not match with a Jun qtr registration.

It appears that you don't know who her adoptive parents were, then? If it was me, I would be ordering both the Hilton and the Margery A Shaw certs for the Dec qtr and see how things match up.  Realize they are different registration areas but an adoption could have been finalized just about anywhere I would suppose.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
And....

It seems highly unlikely that 2 young people 17 (J Shaw) and 16 (Jones) (using birth dates in the tree) would be married by 1927 much less in a position to adopt a child.

IMHO, a very unreliable tree.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada