Author Topic: Barbara J Hilton  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara J Hilton
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I've not seen the tree PB, but I certainly get the gut feeling that you are right.
Shame really because I was initially thinking that it would be most rewarding to contact the submitter, but now it may not be wise because there certainly appear to be flaws in their research.
Regards Roy G

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
The short birth cert for Barbara Hilton I have seen also has a birth date of 2 Dec 1927 which again indicates Barbara and Majorie were almost certainly the same person.

I think you need to apply for the full length birth certificate for both Barbara HILTON
Barbara Hilton 1927 West Derby Lancashire
Mother's Maiden Name:   Hilton
Volume Number:   8b Page Number:   703

and Marjorie SHAW you will note that this birth is re registration which may allude to the adoption
Marjorie D Shaw 1928 Liverpool
Re-registration Year:   1928
Mother's Maiden Name:   Jones
Volume Number:   8b Page Number:   371

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Adoption doesn’t trigger re-registration of a birth, though.  It is dealt with in a separate register not searchable online.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Marjorie A Shaw of Monmouthshire in 1939 has the same birth date I think. It has been established in an earlier post.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a bit of info about the GRO adoption index in reply #9 of this link.....

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758640.msg6232395#msg6232395

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
From the annotation it looks as though the name change from Margery A Shaw to Barbara Hilton was notified in September 1949, by which time she would have 21, nearly 22 - too old for adoption.

Slightly odd that her record is open - no updated married name and died in Scotland not so long ago - but her second entry that is referenced appears to be closed?

Whereas the person on the next page who is "see page 5" is also open on page 5!
(In fact the entry under that person on page 2 is closed, but open on page 5?)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to get something clear in my mind about the Re-registration highlighted by elzabels.
A noticeable difference between the two is a totally new name and the mother's maiden name.

So do I understand from that, that in the case of an adoption, the GRO are empowered to issue a re-registered (phony) birth certificate for an adopted child, giving it a new name and new parents?

Small perhaps irrelevant note.  1928 was Marjorie D Shaw, Barbara became a Marjorie A Shaw.

NEXT to JonW65
You seem to have found the page 5 that has been eluding me.  As the 1939 page 2 has a blanked off entry above and 2 blanked off entries below Barbara's name, can you at least tell me if page 5 adds anything that may be useful either here or by a PM.  I would be most grateful if you could.

Regards Roy G

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy
Page 5 must be last page on there.
But I haven't found Barbara on it. I think only 3 names are open. The (lady) I alluded to doesn't seem to have anything different about her on the second entry!
Would it be possible to get the other entry opened if you can produce Barbara's death certificate?
John

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 December 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »

So do I understand from that, that in the case of an adoption, the GRO are empowered to issue a re-registered (phony) birth certificate for an adopted child, giving it a new name and new parents?

They can issue a new birth certificate, but that is not as a result of any re-registration in the birth register.

Example: Sarah Smith is born.  Her birth is registered in the usual way, naming her birth parent(s).

An adoption order is then made, and the child’s adoptive parents rename her Jane Jones.  These details are entered into the Adopted Children Register.  This does not affect the original birth registration, and is not searchable on FreeBMD regardless of date.

The adoptee can in due course obtain any or all of (1) a certificate based on her original birth registration (as Sarah Smith); (2) a short “birth” certificate based on her Adopted Children Register details (as Jane Jones, but making no reference to parentage or adoption); (3) an adoption certificate based on her Adopted Children Register details (as Jane Jones).

In your case, Marjorie D Shaw cannot be the same person as Barbara Hilton, because there are separate birth registrations for them so they are separate people.  Adoption, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, does not generate a fresh birth registration.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)