Author Topic: Barbara J Hilton  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara J Hilton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray.
Thanks for that info, and yes we are writing about that same family.

I would certainly like to see that tree or for someone to let me know the actual details either here or by a PM.  (I got your PM BTW)  If extensive, can you PM me with a link to the website it is on?

I am hoping it is not on A, My H or F M P for I don't have membership of any of those and when links are sent, those websites no longer provide me with free access.  (Few of us are in a position to subscribe to them all) My tie is to Geni.   

I have been told the name Marjorie Ada Shaw creeps in somewhere, but word of mouth is not evidence is it, especially as I do not know where, why or how.

Regards Roy

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy     

Yes, it is a subs site.   

From my searches . . . . . try William Charles Hilton?

Margery/Marjery/Marjory Ada/Hilda  SHAW   

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a sub to do an advanced search of the 1939 register on FindMyPast.  Plugging in the name Barbara Hilton and the birth date 2 December 1927 (is that correct? it's from the public tree), produces just one hit - in Monmouth, with the alternative name of Margery A Shaw.  You would need to subscribe to view the page.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
I noticed these details earlier but wasn't sure. However, since Margery may now be involved there is this birth:

Worksop December quarter 1927 vol 7b pg 74
Margery A Shaw mmn Wainwright

Not sure if that helps much as the Hilton/Shaw reference is in Monmouthshire in 1939.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 December 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Your combined efforts seem to be coming together and supporting the little additional info that I also know.

Ray and I are rightfully concerned that we do not infringe family privacy, but my primary aim (which I wish other Rootschatters to respect) at any stage during these open discussions, is to not reveal the names of those descendants which resulted from Barbara's marriage.  As the marriage was in 1952, I would be pleased to know about anything that predates that event.

Her daughter (who I will not name) found that a book owned by her mother which had the name Marjory Ada Shaw written in it.  That seems to tie in with what you now tell me about the 1939 Monmouthshire census which I have yet to find details of.  The short birth cert for Barbara Hilton I have seen also has a birth date of 2 Dec 1927 which again indicates Barbara and Majorie were almost certainly the same person.

I now need to equate the above findings with an alternative entry found in Worksop. 
Worksop December quarter 1927 vol 7b pg 74  (Margery A Shaw, mum's mn Wainwright)
and another where the father has the first name Joseph and the mother is surnamed Jones.

Could the shortened birth cert I have seen be an official fabrication to cover an adoption?
Adoptions are totally outside my expertise, so I would need your advice on that.

I wonder who submitted the tree that Ray has found on F M P, for they would certainly be a useful additional contact.

Regards Roy G

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 December 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
From the annotation it looks as though the name change from Margery A Shaw to Barbara Hilton was notified in September 1949, by which time she would have 21, nearly 22 - too old for adoption.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »

1949 QS shows a marriage Hilton/Shaw     

1939 shows a ref for 1949 marriage and register change of name
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:06 GMT (UK) »

There appears to be more trees on A

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 December 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
The Jun qtr 1927 Shaw birth reg in Liverpool with mother’s maiden name Jones doesn’t match a December birthday.  Not sure how reliable some of these trees might be.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)