Author Topic: NSW death cert 1878  (Read 990 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW death cert 1878
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 December 18 04:07 GMT (UK) »
You may not know that you can drill down on the NSW BDM online index and determine the date of death.  Then with that information you can look for any death/funeral/obituary notice in the free to search digitised newspapers.  Then with that info, perhaps including cemeteries, you can search for any headstone photo online too ... And,  You can also find Probate announcements there in Trove resources to too, often including name/s of the executors ...

NSW BDM online index DEATHS, scroll down to the lower section "Date of Event" and start to reduce the date ... so 01/01/1878 to 30/06/78 and if your person of interest is still there, then alter the month to say 03/03/1878 to 30/06/78 and just keep reducing ... (or 01/07/1878 to 31/12/1878 and same system of reducing)...

Trove: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
   It is possible there is a probate packet for your person at NSW state archives.

You can type the name in the main search box here https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ to see if there is a probate packet for the person.   If there is, then I can photograph it for you next time I am there.  A probate packet *should* contain a death certificate, will, details of heirs and list of assets and debts.

Ros

hi Ros,

thank you for the link and your very kind offer.
I'm not expecting there to be a probate, and checked on the search just to be sure, and there wasn't, thanks.

Lisa

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
You may not know that you can drill down on the NSW BDM online index and determine the date of death.  Then with that information you can look for any death/funeral/obituary notice in the free to search digitised newspapers.  Then with that info, perhaps including cemeteries, you can search for any headstone photo online too ... And,  You can also find Probate announcements there in Trove resources to too, often including name/s of the executors ...

NSW BDM online index DEATHS, scroll down to the lower section "Date of Event" and start to reduce the date ... so 01/01/1878 to 30/06/78 and if your person of interest is still there, then alter the month to say 03/03/1878 to 30/06/78 and just keep reducing ... (or 01/07/1878 to 31/12/1878 and same system of reducing)...

Trove: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

JM

thanks for the tip re. the dates on the search, very useful.
Didn't find him on trove, though in the past, I've found it an excellent resource for family announcements

thanks,
Lisa