Author Topic: Getting my hands on the family bible!  (Read 4510 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Getting my hands on the family bible!
« on: Wednesday 26 December 18 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi I as hoping some people had a bit of advice for me and my predicament....

So I am living in the North West and my family bible is in the hands of my grandmother's cousin down in London. When I asked if she could send me pictures of the bible content she told me that most of the bible had been scribbled out and was not read-able.
I really feel that if I were able to see the bible I may be able to pick up on something she may have missed or even send it to a professional to see if they could interpret what has been crossed out!
Is it unreasonable for me to ask my grandmother's cousin to send the bible up by post? I feel that we have as much right to see it as she does but don't want to scare her away by asking too much?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Getting my hands on the family bible!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, difficult one!  You might not think you are being unreasonable but that may very well be how they see it.  And they might think they won't get it back!  I'd ask if someone could take a  very good photo of it or scan the page in.  They may also be saying it's unreadable because they don't actually have it any more, or don't want you to see it for some reason...all manner of reasons really.  If they refuse, if you push the matter you risk alienating them.
One of my nannans didn't want me delving into the past AT ALL, and did all she could to distract me from my mission (I never did find out why!).  I did eventually see the Bible but it wasn't a lot of help.
Also, they are usually VERY heavy, and would be expensive to post/courier.
Just my two pennorth.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a better option would be to ask them to take photos and send the images via phone/email to you........

I second what Claire64 say lots of people don't like others in the family researching for fear of what they may find out... no one would tellme anything, no one let me look at any records they already held in the family and I knew my cousin had ( and now has) lots... 20 yrs of asking and they claim they have nothing.... but I KNOW they do, now they want my 'help' as they are starting to research and csn't make head or tail of some of those records they hold.....
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, yes i feel maybe asking for it to be posted for now would be too much maybe. Just seems incredibly frustrating as I feel like I have as much right to see it in person as she has!
We discovered we had black ancestry (the line relating to the family bible) but my nanna's cousin seemed just as interested in it as the rest of us so I'm sure if I was able to find more info she would be excited about it too!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Why not give her your phone number and email address and ask if she could take photos of the damaged photos and let you see them  in order to help her read what has been crossed out.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 20:26 GMT (UK) »
.........We discovered we had black ancestry (the line relating to the family bible) but my nanna's cousin seemed just as interested in it as the rest of us so I'm sure if I was able to find more info she would be excited about it too!

I agree with the other suggestions already given.

Plus, if you already have some information that they may be interested in, it wouldn't hurt to say that you are willing to share research, results etc. They might be more receptive to sending you photos of the bible. Just a thought.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, I think the best thing to do is to ask for photos of the damaged papers as you said.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Just remember that you have no "rights" to that information.
Ask politely, and if they choose to let you have photos, then treat it as a bonus.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
You want it you go get it.

if it was me -  full throttle to get it ... have in the past.. and would again.. dont steal just go with a camera and snap away

xin

OK   do it politely and with a lot of charm :)   ha ha  oops