Author Topic: Disappeared from the electoral register  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Kathy001001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Disappeared from the electoral register
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Ray .....just read your response.  The delicate subject of whether to put her down as alive or deceased on our family tree!  Iím thinking the latter as she hasnít shown up on the electoral register since 2014.  If Iím wrong, either way a relative somewhere may get a little upset. 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The person in question is a distant relation.  So distant Iíve never met her!  She lives in London.  I firstly tracked her to E17 but she then disappeared and I canít find her on any electoral registers, although Iíve been told she lives in N16 now.

Really, it sounds to me that this pursuit is not worth your time and effort.
Unless you have a good reason for needing to find  her, other that adding her name to an extensive family tree, then I would say she is entitled to her privacy.  There are a number of factors which prohibit electoral roll registrations, not only death.

If you must enter her at all, leave it until 110 years from her date of birth! ::)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 December 18 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Ray .....just read your response.  The delicate subject of whether to put her down as alive or deceased on our family tree!  Iím thinking the latter as she hasnít shown up on the electoral register since 2014.  If Iím wrong, either way a relative somewhere may get a little upset.

You have her on your tree already,  there's no need to seek to contact her to determine if she is still alive ...   I don't see why you would conclude that just because you can no longer find someone on an electoral register in 2015, 16, 17, 18 that it follows that they are no longer living. 

Just for a moment, consider reversing the role...  Assume you were findable on the 2014 electoral roll but you moved, or you applied to be de-listed, or you failed to vote and were removed from the list etc ..... and a family history buff that that you have never met UNBEKNOWN to you had put your name on their private study records as though you were related to them .... and then because they could NOT find you in any online database from 2015 to now, they decided that meant that you were no longer living and so they then thought a bit more and decided it would be okay and they uploaded that private study record to a website showing your private/sensitive/personal identifying information to the global world ...   showing your close relatives details,  perhaps employment history, perhaps any medical history, school results, photos etc etc etc and ... while the info was about you, and you were offended and upset etc,  you also knew that you were NOT actually related to the rest of the people on that tree ... the person had missed a vital clue ... the 2014 electoral roll person had MIGRATED to Australia...

JM ...
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kathy001001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 December 18 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the responses.  majm, my quest to follow my family tree came about from being contacted by someone doing theirs.  They asked me to check their research.  In doing so they had the living dead and the dead living.  I was merely attempting to avoid a similar painful situation.  My intentions were honourable.

Sue...the 110 year solution might be my better option.  Think I would sooner upset someone should they discover someone missing than upset them by posting them alive when they are dead.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:06 GMT (UK) »
T
Sue...the 110 year solution might be my better option.  Think I would sooner upset someone should they discover someone missing than upset them by posting them alive when they are dead.

;) :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I chose to opt out of the edited electoral register (which we can all do at anytime) so I have not appeared on it since 2005. I AM still alive though  8)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the responses.  majm, my quest to follow my family tree came about from being contacted by someone doing theirs.  They asked me to check their research.  In doing so they had the living dead and the dead living.  I was merely attempting to avoid a similar painful situation.  My intentions were honourable.

Something does not make sense ...

Errr ... ummmm .... agh.... how can a deceased person become upset .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I chose to opt out of the edited electoral register (which we can all do at anytime) so I have not appeared on it since 2005. I AM still alive though  8)

Carol

So did I and I think I'm still alive  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

Surely, if the tree is for your use "only" then keep all of your notes but don't make the tree public access.
Or, keep it only on your computer (of whatever spec/style/condition)
Or, If you must keep it on a website, then use something like "Zoompast.com" and don't give out the password.
If the only/latest info that you have for this person is " Last heard of (2014) at such an address - info source Electoral Roll", then add the note to your tree and move on.

:)     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).