Author Topic: Possible Relationship ?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Lafrowda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Relationship ?
« on: Wednesday 26 December 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
What is the possible common ancestor to two people who share 828 cms across 25 segments ?
We see no paper trail connection despite a fairly full tree on each side, apart from geographical proximity with our parents, grandparents & before.
CORNWALL: Penrose, Trenerry & Variants, Warren, Barnicoat, l, Watters, Lavars, Eddy, Moyle, Hicks, Harvey, Tonkin.
N.YORKS;DURHAM:  Robinson, Thwaites, Frank, Rigg, Woodwark,Moon,Metcalfe.
NORFOLK: Wales, Bocking,Pond,Basham,Wegg,Bastard.
DORSET: Norster/Nosciter, Byat, Stoodleigh,Sweet.

VARIOUS: Hefferan & variants, Devine & variants

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Relationship ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
It might be useful to refer to the DNA Detectives Autosomal Statistics Chart via google or similar. There is a range of possible relationships between 2 people sharing c.575-1330 cMs, average 900 cMs, 1st cousin/Half Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/Great-Grandparent/Great-Grandchild/Great Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew. What fits best?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
 This will give you a range of possibilities:

Relationship probabilities (based on stats from The DNA Geek)

95.72%
    Great-Grandparent /Great-Aunt / Uncle Half Aunt / Uncle 1C/ Half Niece / Nephew /Great-Niece / Nephew /Great-Grandchild
    4.28%
    Half Great-Aunt / Uncle †/ Half Great-Niece / Nephew †/ Great-Great-Aunt / Uncle/ Half 1C   /1C1R/ Great-Great-Niece / Nephew

Using  https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

For comparison, my great nephew shares 1100cM over 49 segments  with me.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 18 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Various possibilities, as listed by squawki11 and Gadget, but it is obviously a fairly close relationship,

As always, it will be good to look at your shared matches.  Identify shared matches you know to be on your side, and those on the other person's side. Look at trees where available. Tell each other how the shared matches are related, where known, especially for any 2nd or 3rd cousins, if any, but also any 4th to 6th cousins (at ancestry).

Any new match comes along, check if it is shared with this person.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
GEDmatch will be really useful if both these cousins and their families also are uploaded from other platforms.

You share kit numbers, and nicknames, and then you can both see the extent of common matches
and extract matrices to demonstrate the shared from just yours and just theirs

We have scored a 3rd cousin doing this.
He is a close yDNA match to our brother, which means this 3rd cousin’s father should have our surname.
Softly softly ...

Offline Lafrowda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I should have said at the start that I am not conversant with DNA technical terms and will need leading slowly.  For example matrices to me are something you sleep on, albeit spelt differently.  I am 76 and a bit slow with new concepts.  We are on GEDMATCH but I don't see common surnames with our match, so I suspect "wrong side of the blanket" somewhere, but where do I look and how close ?
CORNWALL: Penrose, Trenerry & Variants, Warren, Barnicoat, l, Watters, Lavars, Eddy, Moyle, Hicks, Harvey, Tonkin.
N.YORKS;DURHAM:  Robinson, Thwaites, Frank, Rigg, Woodwark,Moon,Metcalfe.
NORFOLK: Wales, Bocking,Pond,Basham,Wegg,Bastard.
DORSET: Norster/Nosciter, Byat, Stoodleigh,Sweet.

VARIOUS: Hefferan & variants, Devine & variants

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I gave a list of possible relationships in my earlier reply. The ones in bold are the most likely. You'd need to work from the person's available tree.

Have you contacted  them?

Gadget

(PS - I'm not much younger than you  :) )

This will give you a range of possibilities:

Relationship probabilities (based on stats from The DNA Geek)

95.72%
    Great-Grandparent /Great-Aunt / Uncle Half Aunt / Uncle 1C/ Half Niece / Nephew /Great-Niece / Nephew /Great-Grandchild
    4.28%
    Half Great-Aunt / Uncle †/ Half Great-Niece / Nephew †/ Great-Great-Aunt / Uncle/ Half 1C   /1C1R/ Great-Great-Niece / Nephew

Using  https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

For comparison, my great nephew shares 1100cM over 49 segments  with me.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 December 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I found this article useful:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/wedding18.htm#Masterclass

I think it was recommended by Margaret  :)

Gadget

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 December 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I am also approaching my 70s and find some aspects of DNA very difficult to get my head round. I fear it has come too late for me to get full value from it,, but hope my daughter, currently uninterested in family history, will gain from both of her parents being tested.

I took no interest until in my 50s, so there's hope yet.

You say you will need leading slowly - it is only by taking an active interest in the subject that you will learn, and you are doing so. The mud becomes clearer after a while, but not completely clear for me as yet!

Wrong side of the blanket does immediately spring to mind, so tread carefully.

As I said before, shared matches should give you a lot of information.

Depending upon the age of your match, you could be looking at a number of different generations.

Gadget says most likely relationships include  Great-Grandparent /Great-Aunt / Uncle Half Aunt / Uncle 1C/ Half Niece / Nephew /Great-Niece / Nephew /Great-Grandchild, from DNA painter.

So, given your age, not likely to be your great grandparents, or even your great aunt/uncle that the match shares.

Match is more likely to be your great niece/nephew or your great grandchild etc.

If the match is about the same age as you, consider closer relationships, nephew/niece

Whichever way, it is probably either yourself or your parents the likely common ancestor.

Regards Margaret
 :)
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go