Author Topic: Possible Relationship ?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Relationship ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 December 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see the benefit in getting tested.  I have the satisfaction of knowing that I have relatives that are now firmly established going back to the 1700s (and in one line, confirmed back to the 1600s) and I have the trees to prove it.  I am in contact with 1st cousins several times removed in Australia who also have the same line as I do.  The only reason I wanted Himself tested was to prove to me he was of Viking stock...now I find out that it cannot be that specific, so we won't bother.  It has been proven that most people will have roots in various countries/areas through the world, but I know that - so far - all my roots are in Scotland and England.  Job done!   :)
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 December 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
How lucky you are, lydiaann  :)

A few months ago, via DNA and a lot of paper work, I was able to discover who my grandfather's father was and thus give him a branch. I would not have been able to find him without doing the test  :)

DNA tests are not a substitute for thorough genealogical research/paper trails but they can confirm possible lines and discover otherwise unknown connections.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 December 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
lydiaann

Good to know you are so confident. So am I, and so, presumably, are Lafrowda and her match.

Surprises happen all the time with DNA, just Google 'DNA surprises' and you will see, or read some of the other threads here.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 December 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a French 2nd cousin found due to DNA testing, we are trying to find out which of my gt uncles was responsible during WW1 ;)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 December 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Gadget and sugarfizzle:  Yes, I can see why you get the benefit of DNA testing; I guess it is different for everyone.  Perhaps what I should have added to my first sentence was "...as far as I am concerned....".  And DNA is certainly of assistance in regard to the nastier things in life - murder, assault, etc.  Forty years ago, a friend started tracing his family tree and did it all without these modern aids, uncovering quite a surprise at one point which helped to explain a lot of things to him.  It would have been revealed within a few weeks had DNA been available then - what an amazing time we live in!
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 December 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Gadget and sugarfizzle:  Yes, I can see why you get the benefit of DNA testing; I guess it is different for everyone.  Perhaps what I should have added to my first sentence was "...as far as I am concerned....". 

My point was, you can't be certain how 'truthful' your paper trail is. You may have made an error at grandparent level, you may have made an error at 7G grandparent level, or anywhere else in between. Either Lafrowda or her match has made an error.

In a Lost Cousins recent newsletter Peter Calver says it is almost our duty to have DNA testing. Whilst not going quite as far as that, I would say that any serious genealogist should strongly consider DNA testing, before it is too late.

I wish my father had been tested (whether he would have been willing is another matter), my mother died many years ago, but he only died 5 years ago. An opportunity missed.

I am not really doubting your paper trail, but even ignoring any possible NPEs, I am just wondering if you have traced all of your 8G grandparents back.

I certainly haven't - either records don't include mother's name, records are missing or not readily available, etc, etc.

To me, DNA testing has given another valid source to a name in my tree, has helped break down a brick wall, or helped to confirm an assumption.

Think of all the trees on Ancestry - if only half of them had DNA testing, how much more would we be able to confirm or refute?

But you are right, it is different for everybody.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 December 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Found the link, couldn't find it before.

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/middec18news.htm#Marx

Peter compares genealogists who don't have DNA testing to Luddites who don't use computers or internet for their research, which is possibly stretching things a bit!

Regards Margaret

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 December 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
When I asked someone about my grandmother, someone posted back that "there are [surname]s in Melbourne who look exactly like her".  That line is particularly strong in the 'appearance gene'.  When I met my cousin's boys for the first time I nearly wept, they looked so much like my late brother.  Himself's family (paternal) is the same; old photos that look like the generation down from us - uncanny.  Don't need DNA for that! ;D
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 December 18 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Two days ago I contacted someone who matched with my daughter and her father. He has a fairly extensive paper trail tree. As well as his own kit this person was managing the kits of his brother and his uncle. Or so he thought. He discovered last year via a DNA test that the man he had thought was his father for fifty years, was not his biological father. Without a DNA test he would never have known.

Apart from that, having a DNA match with someone provides another nice little puzzle to solve to find your common ancestors. Good to keep the interest going when the paper trail runs cold. Frustrating when you can't find it though. (Happens a lot with me.)  :)