Author Topic: Possible Relationship ?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Relationship ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 December 18 03:43 GMT (UK) »
What is the possible common ancestor to two people who share 828 cms across 25 segments ?
We see no paper trail connection despite a fairly full tree on each side, apart from geographical proximity with our parents, grandparents & before.

Any possibility of a half sibling that you don’t know about that could of been adopted out to another family. I share similar centimorgans to a half niece.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »

Any possibility of a half sibling that you don’t know about that could of been adopted out to another family. I share similar centimorgans to a half niece.

Unlikely to be a half sibling as cMs are a bit too low, I'd think.  These are the most likely relationships that I got after entering 828 into dnapainter (Reply #2 of this thread). The most likely relationship is bolded:

Relationship probabilities (based on stats from The DNA Geek)

95.72%
    Great-Grandparent /Great-Aunt / Uncle Half Aunt / Uncle 1C/ Half Niece / Nephew /Great-Niece / Nephew /Great-Grandchild
    4.28%
    Half Great-Aunt / Uncle †/ Half Great-Niece / Nephew †/ Great-Great-Aunt / Uncle/ Half 1C   /1C1R/ Great-Great-Niece / Nephew

Using  https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

For comparison, my great nephew shares 1100cM over 49 segments  with me.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
CelticMom did say possible half niece, which is amongst the relationships indicated by gedpainter.

The fact is, it could be any of several relationships, which will take time and effort, if both the parties are willing and able.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I assumed that he/she was referring to a half sibling.

Added - I re quoted because it could be any of several possiblilities, all of which were discussed on the thread before it was taken over  by the remarks about DNA  from lydiaanne
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a related problem, which you might remember from a few months ago.~ the case of a 'paper trail' 3rd cousin having cMs more likely to be at the 2nd cousin level.

I've been looking through all possiblilities but have still not found an answer.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 December 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
CelticMom did say possible half niece, which is amongst the relationships indicated by gedpainter.

The fact is, it could be any of several relationships, which will take time and effort, if both the parties are willing and able.

Regards Margaret

Thanks Margaret. I did indeed say half Niece. I shared similar centimorgans as the OP has with the person match they are enquiring about.

Which is why I asked about the possibility of a half sibling they don’t know about as the dna match could be to a child of theirs.

With a dna match that close if they have a name they should be able to work back and try and tie it in. If it can’t be tied in then my theory or a similar story is possibly even more likely.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 December 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a related problem, which you might remember from a few months ago.~ the case of a 'paper trail' 3rd cousin having cMs more likely to be at the 2nd cousin level.

I've been looking through all possiblilities but have still not found an answer.

Spent a while this morning doing a bit more searching and find that there was another connection further back, so I was related on two lines. It's worth looking at this possibility also.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 December 18 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Just a side comment on the dnapainter/Bettinger tool:

Although it includes half relationships, it doesn't include double relationships.

Gadget

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Just a side comment on the dnapainter/Bettinger tool:

Although it includes half relationships, it doesn't include double relationships.

Gadget

I'd be interested if you could expand on that further, especially the arithmetic.

Martin