Author Topic: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646  (Read 1347 times)

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could anyone please help with the translation of the attached lines.
They are part of a much larger document from the Bishops Register of my local Church, St Marys Newchurch in Pendle, Lancashire, and date between 1579 and 1646.

I recognise the term Capale de Penhill or Pendill? which is a description used for the former chapel of ease in this village.
I am particularly interested in what appear to include either local place names or perhaps family names.

Geoff

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 18 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Ex parte honestoru(m) et discretoru(m) viroru(m) Jacobi Hargreaves Edmundi Stevenson Iconomo(rum)

hamleti de Goldshaue[?] Joh(ann)is Monknnolls[?] Will(el)mi Bulcocke Iconomo(rum) hamlet(i) de Barlee et

Whitley respective Joh(ann)is Hartley Millonis Nutter Iconomo(rum) de Rughley et Joh(ann)is Robinson

Iconomi de Oldland infra p(re)cinctu(m) dicte eccl(es)ie sive Capelle de Pendill constitut(i) nobis simil(iter) ...

On behalf of the honest and prudent men James Hargreaves, Edmund Stevenson, churchwardens of the hamlet of Goldshaw; John Monknnolls[?], William Bulcocke, churchwardens of the hamlets of Barley and Wheatley respectively; John Hartley, Milo Nutter, churchwardens of Roughlee; and John Robinson, churchwarden of Oldland [= Old Laund?], within the precinct of the said church or chapel of Pendle, likewise appointed by us ...

=====

I’ve translated iconomus as 'churchwarden', but in a more general sense it can just mean ‘steward’ or ‘manager’.

I checked out the local place-names here ...
https://www.genuki.org.uk/gazetteer/nearby?place=LANNewchurchinPendle

... and some of the personal names (or variants) can be found amongst the OPC indexed transcripts ...
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Newchurch-in-Pendle/index.html

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Bookbox,
My grateful thanks, super job!!
The names would relate to church wardens (of the Booths of Goldshaw, Barley and Wheatley, Roughlee and Old Laund that make up the parish) and remain as local families today. There is a Manknowles Farm in Barley, and depending on the date of the document, a strong possibility that both William Bulcock and Milo Nutter were related to the "Pendle Witches" hanged at Lancaster.
If I were to send you a further extract of the beginning of the document I wonder would you be kind enough to translate it. This may then give me an idea what the document relates to and possibly a date. Actually, if I also enclosed the signature on the document I may be able to establish the date if it is signed by a Bishop.

Geoff

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome to post further extracts on this same thread. Several members can read Latin, and someone will no doubt help in due course.

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Bookbox,
Grateful thanks.
Attached scanned image (1 of 2 as sent from Chester Archives). This first page includes the script that you have already translated.
Also attached are the last lines of the second page which includes the signature.

Geoff

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
It’s a copy-document (written out and signed by a Notary Public, William Hill or Hall) confirming the consecration of the chapel-at-ease at Pendle by John Bird, the first Bishop of Chester, on 1 October 1544. The chapel was established in recognition of the inconvenient distance of Pendle from the parish church at Whalley.

The section that I translated above is the only part that mentions any individuals by name (the churchwardens). The rest is standard ecclesiastical wording for this kind of record from a bishop’s register.

I might have time to do a translation tomorrow, if you need one. The Latin is heavily abbreviated, and it will be much quicker for me to give you just the English, rather than provide a full transcription of the Latin with all the expanded word-endings.

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 December 18 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bookbox,
Thankyou, that would be good if you good precis the gist of the text in English. I have attached the remainder of page 2 if perhaps you could take a look to see if there is anything significant there, a date perhaps.
I really appreciate your efforts for this.

Geoff

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 18 05:23 GMT (UK) »
I have scanned the last image.

No date is mentioned other than the one in the second last line, already translated by Bookbox in Reply #5.

I can see only one thing that is new  - a mention of the Chapel of the Castle in Clitherowe in the seventh last line.

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello horsleydown, thankyou.
Could you please enlighten me as to the context of wording around the Chapel of the Castle in Clitheroe please. The Church within the Castle walls no longer exists but there are extant remains of the Castle and approach.
What is the significance and meaning of a number of individual "words" in bold letters please?