Author Topic: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646  (Read 1346 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
What is the significance and meaning of a number of individual "words" in bold letters please?

The words in the "bold" script signify the beginning of a section of the text.  In themselves they are not particularly meaningful:

Preterea = besides, in addition

Ulterius = finally, lastly

In cuius (rei testimonium) = Standard beginning of the concluding clause of a Latin deed.

See:  https://dictionary.thelaw.com/in-cujus-rei-testimonium/

Could you please enlighten me as to the context of wording around the Chapel of the Castle in Clitheroe please. The Church within the Castle walls no longer exists but there are extant remains of the Castle and approach.

I would prefer to leave this to Bookbox to answer.  It's beyond my limited skill at Latin translation to give you an accurate answer.

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Marys, Newchurch in Pendle. Lancashire. Part Document, Bishop Regs 1579-1646
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou again, thats most helpful.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Here's an abstract, the best I can do ...

Consecration of a Chapel or Church in Pendle
To all interested parties, John [Bird], first bishop of the Diocese of Chester by the King’s authority, bids you greeting, grace and benediction. This is to notify you that we have recently consecrated a new Chapel of the Blessed Mary in Pendle within the parish of Whalley, in the county of Lancaster, in our diocese of Chester, because of the long distance from there to the parish church, so that divine service may be celebrated for the glory of God in a suitable chapel. To avoid any conflict that might arise between the Vicar of Whalley and certain inhabitants of Pendle, we have appointed as churchwardens James Hargreaves and Edmund Stevenson, of the hamlet of Goldshaw; John Monknnolls[?] and William Bulcocke, of the hamlets of Barley and Wheatley respectively; John Hartley, Milo Nutter, of Roughlee; and John Robinson, of Oldland. We have been asked to ratify this with a binding agreement that the income due to the chapel should be used to maintain a suitable chaplain to celebrate divine service there, on occasions determined by the churchwardens, unless otherwise instructed by the parish of Whalley. The Rector of Whalley will still receive the income due to him from the parish of Whalley, but the Vicar of Whalley is exonerated from duties of care within the boundary of Pendle. The churchwardens will furnish the chaplain of Pendle with everything he needs to carry out his duties. If outsiders who do not live in the hamlets repeatedly attend the chapel at Pendle and make use of its facilities to the extent that others are denied them, the churchwardens and the Pendle chaplain, and by special licence the chaplain of Clitheroe Castle, are authorised to prevent these people from attending at Pendle. Issued according to the customary rights of the Cathedral Church of Chester, saving the rights of anyone else etc. Sealed with the seal of our Vicar in charge of spiritual and general affairs, because our own seal is not to hand. Dated 1 October 1544, in the 36th year of the reign of [Henry VIII], and in the 3rd year of our Translation.
Agrees with the original
<signed> William Hill/Hall, Notary Public
=====

As horselydown86 has said, there is no further date here. It is a copy, signed by a notary, of the original bishop’s decree of 1544 and inserted in the bishop’s register, which you say is dated 1579-1646. To narrow down the time-frame, it would probably be best to ask Cheshire Archives to inspect the documents either side of it in the register.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Bookbox and horsleydown - May I interrupt to say how impressed I am with these marvellous translations and information.  Xsalamak is my OH by the way. I’m afraid my schoolgirl Latin of many decades ago is simply not up to the job, apart from the odd word and a bit of guesswork due to a knowledge of the parish, so I suggested he let Rootschat have a go and we are very thrilled with the results.

I know my OH will be along shortly with his own appreciation but just wanted to add my own thanks.  (We’ve family here at the moment so there could be a slight delay.)

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xsalamak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bookbox,
Thankyou you very much for your super efforts, I'm most grateful for the time you have spent. The detailed results speak for themselves. I will take your advice and visit Cheshire archives in the new year and take a look for myself.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
You're both very welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

Please note that it’s not a full translation – just an abstract of what I perceive to be the main points (the perception of others might be different).