Author Topic: James Grigor marriage  (Read 2051 times)

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
James Grigor marriage
« on: Thursday 27 December 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi looking for the marriage between a James Grigor & Isobel Grant c 1780 onwards. I don't know what year he was born as I don't have any info on him. On Familysearch there are children born between them from 1787 onwards all in Duffus. Any help appreciated.

Moira
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Grigor marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on Scotland's People? If you have looked and can't find it there, then the overwhelming likelihood is that the record of the marriage has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have looked on there. Wondered if any other site had records on.
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have looked on there. Wondered if any other site had records on.
No.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Basically, Scotland's People has the originals of very nearly all of the surviving birth/baptism, banns/marriage and deaths/burial records from before 1855, and all the births, marriages and deaths from 1855 to the present day, though you can't view the more recent ones online.

The ones they don't have are
- the registers of the Episcopal Church of Scotland, which have never been gathered together and have to be individually tracked down in churches, diocesan offices and assorted local and university archives
- a small number of registers of Secession or Free churches held in the National Records of Scotland whose congregations have not (or not yet) given permission for them to be made available.
- very occasionally registers turn up that have managed to evade being sent to the NRS or the Registrar General for Scotland

The Statistical Account of Duffus does not mention an Episcopalian congregation in Duffus, though there were some 'not numerous' in the neighbouring parish of Elgin. The surviving Episcopalian registers from Elgin and indeed from the rest of Moray have been indexed on LIBINDX, but I don't think they go back to the 18th century.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.