Author Topic: Frederick Wareham/Warham death around 1861/2  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Frederick Wareham/Warham death around 1861/2
« on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Isabella Kelly (born 1843, Seaham Harbour) was married to Frederick War(e)ham in June 1860; he was 20 and she was 17.  The marriage took place in St Peter's church, Monkwearmouth (source is a parish marriage entry transcript on Find My Past). 

A mariner, in the 1861 census he was presumably at sea, and his young wife was with her mother and sister in Sunderland.

On 24 February 1862, Isabella married her second husband, Thomas Todd (my ancestor), at Sunderland church (my source for this is a newspaper announcement).

Only 20 months separate her two marriages.  I haven't found definite evidence of children to the first marriage.

I'm trying to find a death for Frederick, but struggling.  I haven't ruled out the chance that he didn't actually die, and that Isabella married again bigamously.  But surely his death is the more likely scenario?

Can anyone help me to find a death or burial for him?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Wareham/Warham death around 1861/2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Presume she is shown as a widow on tbe second marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Presumed drowned off the coast of Mauritius 14.2.1861.  He was on the ship Fingal - engaged 15.9.1860
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Presume she is shown as a widow on tbe second marriage cert?

I don't have the marriage cert, CaroleW.  However, she is described as Mrs Wareham in the newspaper announcement I've found in the Newcastle Courant on FindMyPast.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Presumed drowned off the coast of Mauritius 14.2.1861.  He was on the ship Fingal - engaged 15.9.1860

Thank you very much for this, CaroleW - can I ask what the source is, so that I can have a look myself? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Am on my iPad at the moment so will post the link shortly

EDIT - have sent you a pm

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record.
The London registered Barque FINGAL, Official Number 31981 was lost with all hands (17). Voyage Mauritius for Trinidad. Sailed from Mauritius 11/Jan/1861.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Am on my iPad at the moment so will post the link shortly

EDIT - have sent you a pm

Thank you!

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record.
The London registered Barque FINGAL, Official Number 31981 was lost with all hands (17). Voyage Mauritius for Trinidad. Sailed from Mauritius 11/Jan/1861.

Thank you, Seaweed, that's very interesting additional background information!