Author Topic: Frederick Wareham/Warham death around 1861/2  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Wareham/Warham death around 1861/2
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 April 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
How interesting. My 3rd great grandfather David Sandy was also on this voyage.  The Consular Deaths Index states the death as 'Supposed drowned off the coast of Mauritius 14/02/1861'.  I had thought that he and his other 16 crews members had jumped ship as it also states 'Possessions - Lost' and that a crew of 17 seemed rather small.  Any further information that confirms the ship was lost would be great to have.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 April 21 13:44 BST (UK) »
My apologies. A typo. Should read "Sailed from Mauritius 11/Feb/1861."
My information came from "Lloyd's List" of the 6th of April 1861 and 14th August 1861. Reports in the the Express London and the Morning Post of the 15th of August 1861 the Scotsman of the 16th August 1861.
Further. Information from a return prepared by Lloyd's and the Register General of Shipping and Seamen. "Ships Reported as Missing" Page 652. Page 653 gives the crew number as 17. Including the master. Voyage Mauritius for Trinidad. Cargo unknown.
If you  wish to address your concerns regarding the number of crew who were lost. I suggest you contact NMM Greenwich when they reopen to ascertain whether they have copies of the last Crew Agreement and Logbook of FINGAL. I would also suggest you take a look at the Index and Register of Deceased Seaman which should be available from the pay to view website FindMyPast.
The Master of FINGAL at the time of her loss was Captain Thomas? Denkin. Possible masters certificate number 5178. Passed 1852 London. I also suggest you take a look at "Lloyd's Captains Register."
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 April 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed, thank you for your response. I do have the Index and Register of Deceased Seaman from Ancestry, 16 crew are listed, Thomas Denkin is not listed,  I guess as Captain he will be on another list and not on the Deceased Seaman list. I've checked out the Ships Reported as Missing page 652,content no 1974, interesting, crew 17. I also found Denkin on the National Probate Calendar (Index Wills).

The NMM, TNA and Maritime Museum Canada don't have the log book but I guess that would have gone down with the ship!

I did look at The British Newspaper and Findmypast Newspaper (I don't have memberships) so I could only see bits. So the ship's cargo was guns and the United States war vessel captured the steamer -
The Civil War in America was going on.  All very interesting. I do wonder if the crew were killed or taken prisoner, perhaps some of them survived and continue their lives in America - we shall never know.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Regards Pamela

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 April 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
You Wrote
 So the ship's cargo was guns and the United States war vessel captured the steamer -
The Civil War in America was going on.  All very interesting. I do wonder if the crew were killed or taken prisoner, perhaps some of them survived and continue their lives in America - we shall never know.

Different ship. FINGAL  missing off Mauritius O/N 31981 was a sailing ship. a Barque, built in Sundeland in 1853.
The vessel you refer to is FINGAL O/N 42538 was a steamship built in Glasgow in 1861
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 April 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed. Ah, wrong ship  :-[.  Couldn't find the ones you mentioned with dates etc. Cheers for putting me right.