Author Topic: Stewarts of Londonderry  (Read 6768 times)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stewarts of Londonderry
« on: Thursday 27 December 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been trying to break a brick wall in my Stewart line for ages, and believe I may have made a breakthrough!  (1) I'd like an opinion on whether this information fits the way i believe it does and (2) if so, where might I go from here to find additional information.

I have a marriage record for James Stewart to Margaret White in Dundee, Angus/Forfarshire Scotland in 1855.  James' parents are listed as John Stewart and Jane Jones.  He indicates his place of birth as Co Londonderry Parish Tamlaugh (I assume Tamlaght).  This is all I had to go on.

Today I came across a record for a census extract from census return of 1851 for a Dorothy Stewart with parents listed as John Stewart and Jane Jones in the parish of Tamlaght O'Crilly.  There are 2 images which were the result of 2 searches (see attached).  Household members (no ages) are listed and there is a James.  (note that James does not appear in the 1851 scotland census and I'd always assumed he'd moved between 1851 and 1855).

(1) do you think this is the correct family (e.g., James' parents and siblings) and (2) it appears Dorothy would have moved to Scotland at the time of the record as the address she lists on the claim is LGB (Local Government Board) Edinburgh?  If so, I cannot find a death for her in the ediburgh area.

thanks in advance for weighing in with opinions or with suggestions on where to search next.

Jennifer
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewarts of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Just a point of clarification.  This extract would have been made following application for an Old Age Pension as I understand it.  It was not a form that was completed in 1851.  On both of the forms there is a date in 1915 (22/11/15 & 1/12/15)  which was when Dorothy must have applied.  She sent an application and public servants of the day would check to see whether she appeared on the 1851 census and complete the form with the details.  I think the address would have been the address she was applying from in 1915.  Anyway these applications do give a look in to the 1851  census record as it was in 1915, have been completed by people who, ususally/hopefully are accurate,  and are invaluable.  Lucky you!

Did you also see that you have a grandfather, Thomas Jones  appearing as well.  The parents seem to have been living with Mother Jane's father. 

Have you looked for the other possible siblings to see if they went to Scotland as well? Dorothy may not have died in Edinburgh of course. 

I would have a look at Griffiths Valuation for Tamlaght O'Crilly to see if Stewarts or Jones' are located there. This was carried out in the 1850s across Ireland

Does James name any of his children Dorothy or do any of the other siblings? You may find Dorothy in earlier Scottish censuses. I think also that if you have not already done so it might be good to search the siblings shown on the forms to find their histories.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:13 GMT (UK) »
One of your attachments indicates Dorothy Stewart’s married name was McMurdy. I can see a marriage in Northern Ireland on 17.8.1865 between Dorethea Stewart and Andrew McMurdy, registered in Magherafelt, Co. Londonderry. That might be your lady. The certificate might give you a little more information. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

There are 3 Tamlaght parishes in Co Londonderry (Tamlaght O’Crilly, Tamlaght Finlagan and plain Tamlaght. Always worth bearing in mind).

What denomination were your Stewart family?
Elwyn

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Good spotting with the marriage.

I have found a reference to Jane Jones owning a house in Tamlaght O'Crilly in the GV in 1859. 

John Stewart is shown as leasing land in Tamlaght O'Crilly in GV in 1859 also...quite a bit. 

I think you could look for McMurdys, Jones' and Stewarts in the Ireland census of 1901/11. Interesting to see who remains behind and good for ancestor hunting by age.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »
At least 5 children to that McMurdy/Stewart couple. Births all registered in Magherafelt:

Mary 6.6.1866
David 11.1.1868
William 13.6.1871
Elizabeth 5.10.1878
Thomas John 30.11.1881 (His certificate below).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02809/2030797.pdf

No sign of any of the above family in the 1901 Irish census. All appear to have left Ireland sometime between November 1881 and 1901.
Elwyn

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:51 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much!  I had missed the marriage. That's a fantastic find!  And lots of new information to research tomorrow! so thankful for all of your help :)
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 18 03:59 GMT (UK) »
A couple of other McMurdy births from Family Search -  useful to have these for naming pattern clues, if any!
Name   Jane Mcmurdy
Gender   Female
Birth Date   12 Oct 1872
Birthplace   , , IRELAND
Father's Name   Andrew Mcmurdy
Mother's Name   Dorothy Stuart

Name   Mary Isabella McMurdy
Event Type   Birth
Event Date   06 Jun 1866
Event Place   Magherafelt, Magherafelt, Ireland
Event Place   Drumance Ballyscullion, Magherafelt, Ireland
Gender   Female
Father's Name   Andrew McMurdy
Mother's Name   Dorothea Stewart McMurdy

Name   William John McMurdy
Event Type   Birth
Event Date   13 Jun 1871
Event Place   Magherafelt
Gender   Male
Mother's Name   Dorothea Stewart McMurdy

Name   David James McMurdy
Event Type   Birth
Event Date   11 Jan 1868
Event Place   Drumanel Ballyscullion, Magherafelt, Ireland
Gender   Male
Mother's Name   Dorthia Stewart McMurdy

Confirmation of fathers' names
Name   Andrew McMurdy
Event Date   17 Aug 1865
Father's Name   David McMurdy
Spouse's Name   Doretha Stewart
Spouse's Father's Name   John Stewart

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 18 04:00 GMT (UK) »
thank you SO much for pointing out the McMurdy surname!  It's led to another wonderful find! I found Dorothy's death record...in Glasgow area of Scotland in 1933. 

Her name is indexed there as Dorothea McMurdie.  Widow of Andrew McMurdie.  Parents John Stewart and Jane Jones!  I believe she was living there at the time of the request for the census extract (which was done in 1915).  So I'm going to do some more research tomorrow and see if I can trace her back. 

I'm so thankful for your help!!!

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 18 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh my!  I have a lot of research to do in the morning ;)

Just looked at Dorothea's death record and the informant was her daughter Elizabeth (married name Walker).   

It's so awesome to be able to start to chip away at this wall!