Author Topic: Help in confirming if I have the right marriage (Tyrone/Derry)  (Read 1119 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in confirming if I have the right marriage (Tyrone/Derry)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
So I’m currently a little stumped with this one. I can’t find any records of children born to a John and a Bridget in the right time and place. The only death record I can find for a Bridget O’Neill that fits age-wise is one who dies in the Magherafelt workhouse in 1893 aged 30. That Bridget is listed as being from Ballymilligan (which I think these days is called Ballymulligan, it’s on the road between Magherafelt and The Loup to the south), rather than Tyrone. Could that have been where she and John were living after marriage? It feels like a stretch to me. Sadly the informant for this Bridget’s death is the operator of the Workhouse and not a husband or relative.

So I’m not really sure where to go from here. I’ve yet to find any other marriage of a John whose father is a Michael O’Neill (who is still living) pre-1895.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm getting no where either. If they did have children they must have moved after they married but where!

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Of course there’s always the possibility that John’s first marriage was childless, especially if his first wife died young (sent to the workhouse due to illness? It’s a thought, I suppose).

It’s also entirely possible that I have the wrong first marriage, though I’ve not found a better candidate so far, based on age and listed relations. There’s plenty of John O’Neills getting married with fathers named Michael in the area, but all of the fathers are listed as deceased in the marriage records (so dead pre-1895 and thus can’t be the same father as listed in the second marriage).