Author Topic: Minnie (Mary?) Olive Clarke  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minnie (Mary?) Olive Clarke
« on: Friday 28 December 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace a birth record for my great grandmother, Minnie Olive Clarke (I am presuming she would be a MARY Olive Clarke) who married Robert Craig on 31st December 1897 at St Patrick's chapel in Glasgow. I know she was born in Armagh but I am not sure of the date, from her death certificate this would appear to be in 1873.

Minnie's parents were Charles Clarke and her mother was Mary Ann Wilson. Charles and Mary married at St Mark's Church of Ireland in Armagh City on 20th April 1862. Charles was a shoemaker.   

I have found birth records for all of her siblings (Herbert, born 27th October 1869 ((died 1887)), Charles Edmund, born 18th November 1871 ((died 1872)),  Charles Edmund Clarke, born 24th June 1873. then finally a Margaret Clarke on 21st May 1876 ((died in 1878 in Scotch Street, Armagh)) but can find no trace of Minnie at all.

Any help would be really appreciated. .
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Minnie (Mary?) Olive Clarke
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
You have a gap there from the marriage in 1862 to Herbert born 1869, have you tried searching for Unknown Clarke in case she wasn't registered with a first name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
What religion were they?

Wondering if she was actually a bit older (especially if husband was younger she might have 'adjusted' her birthdate a bit although people weren't really concerned about their ages and variations aren't uncommon). If parents married in Apr.1862 they could have had one or two children before the start of birth registration (1864).

Elizabeth (4 Sept.1865)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03551/2307452.pdf
Herbert Wilson (27 Oct.1869)
Charles Edmund (18 Nov.1871)
Charles Edmund (24 June 1873)
Margaret (21 May 1876)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
When son Herbert Wilson Clarke died the Clarkes were living Scotch St., Armagh-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06207/4775602.pdf

Ulster Gazette (Armagh), 4 Oct.1879:
Mr Charles Clarke, Scotch Street, processed Edward M'Gee for the sum of _, price of pair of shoes and some repairs. Defendant did ...

Ulster Gazette, 17 Jan.1880: January 12, at Scotch Street, Armagh, the wife of Mr Charles Clarke, of son.
Son's name Alfred Henry? (see 1901 census- link below). Mother Elizabeth Yates- is this a 2nd wife for Charles or a different shoemaker in Armagh?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02888/2058063.pdf
Charles Clerk (widower, son of Peter) & Elizabeth Yates married 1878-https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1878/11086/8057258.pdf
Same couple in 1901?www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Armagh_Town/Scotch_Street/1010022

Ulster Gazette, 7 Dec.1889: A shoemaker’s case. Charles Clarke summoned working shoemaker named John Morrow under the following circumstances. Plaintiff gave the defendant material ...

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey, thank you for the replies, very informative as usual.

I had considered that she may have been born earlier, it does seem strange that her parents married in 1862 and that the first child I could find was born in 1869.

Elizabeth Yates was his 2nd wife, they married on the 28th March in 1878.

I think that the Clarke's were a Protestant family. I know when the son Charles Edmund married, is was in a Wesleyan Church in Glasgow. However, Minnie married her husband Robert Joseph Craig in a Roman catholic church.

Thank you so much for your help.

Stephen

Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Sinann, thank you, I will try doing that now.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Minnie's sister Elizabeth born 1865 in Monaghan (looks like mother Mary went home to have baby?) so perhaps Minnie or other siblings also there.

1862 marriage gives Charles' father as a Peter Clarke so this Peter Clarke (living Scotch St. in Armagh) possibly related-
Clarke, Peter of 34 Scotch Street Armagh county Armagh shoe and boot repairer died 26 December 1962 Probate Belfast 8 February to Eliza Jane Clarke the widow and David Thompson egg merchant. Effects £730 18s.

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Aghadowey, that gives me something to look for. Really appreciate all of your help.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I looked at my old Clarke notes.

The Peter who died in 1962 had married an Eliza Jane McCullough on the 22nd October 1919. His father, John Clarke, was also a Bootmaker. He was living at 3 Barrack Street at the time of his marriage.

John Clarke married a Margaret Jane McBride on the 23rd April 1887. They had several children that I can see in the 1901 and 1911 census returns (including a Minnie, born 1894).

My original Peter Clarke, died on 23rd November 1886 in Callan Street. Death registered by his son Charles, of Scotch Street.

I am trying to work out how this Clarke family relate to my Clarke's (I have posted a separate thread about this earlier this year). I am sure there must be some connection, especially as you have told me he was in Scotch Street at the time of his death.
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow