Author Topic: dna results  (Read 2917 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: dna results
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 December 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I agree - 50 cMs seems a bit high for a cut off. I only have 7 matches that fit that criteria - and one of them is my niece!

I haven't actually set a cut off threshold but I do find any match below 20cMs is very difficult to identify. I haven't done too badly above that.

I do find the 'search matches' button very helpful but I'd suggest not using 'include similar surnames' facility as it throws up all sorts of weird names that are not at all similar!!

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, You may not get many matches above 50 cMs, I have only got 12 above that level!!

Regards Margaret

I've just checked mine and have 18, some of which are recent additions.

50th is  32 cM
100th is 27.4cM
150th is 24.5cM

310 20cM or over

well, I only have 2 over 50 (then 7 in the 40s), my mom (the other test result) has 23 over 50.
My mom's 'count' of cM's up to 150th is similar to yours Gadget. 

Thank you both for the links.
I'd had a look at the dna painter and have run a few numbers through it.
Will read the article, things should make more sense now I have some numbers.  :)

Lisa

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I agree - 50 cMs seems a bit high for a cut off. I only have 7 matches that fit that criteria - and one of them is my niece!

I haven't actually set a cut off threshold but I do find any match below 20cMs is very difficult to identify. I haven't done too badly above that.

I do find the 'search matches' button very helpful but I'd suggest not using 'include similar surnames' facility as it throws up all sorts of weird names that are not at all similar!!

thanks for the tips.

I have a few known 'cousins' in the list (didn't know they had all done tests), so the shared matches is proving a very good indicator to where to start looking.

Lisa

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »

It depends on a number of things: How much time you have, how wide and how far back your family history research goes, how desperate you are to mention just three.
I tend to cut off around 50 cM as a general rule, but that is just me.
Cheers
Guy

Yes, I can see I will be 'tempted' to try to solve some of the more distant matches, as I'm thinking I might need to do that to go back a bit further.   :)

Lisa

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Allow for the fact that few of my matches have uploaded elsewhere.

My lowest cM match where I have a confirmed paper trail is a 4th cousin, who shares 6.4 cMs.

Next is an 8th cousin by paper trail, sharing 6.9 cMs

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »

It would be even better news if the 5 people had actually put a tree on Ancestry as well.

... said it was for the ethnicity results and also she thought, for the amount Ancestry charge, they'd also provide her with the family information!!!

Is this why people don't include a tree?

Hi

You answer the problem very well.

I feel it is quite sad that many have little interest family history, or they know bits passed down which will eventually be forgotten as they die out.

Hearing conversations over a pint, some are doing a dna test simply because it is a gift, or feel a quick easy route to a direct match without any of the paper spadework, visits to Archives etc.

----------

I once said to an Author (who quoted a document reference I had also seen), how did you know these named individuals were Lord Paget's Tenants (early 18th Century) and he replied they are listed on a Map.

He had been to County and other Archives all over the Country.

I had not got a copy of this Map, it still eludes me and despite an Archivist looking through Lord Paget's Collection (who hold the cited reference) we haven't a clue where this most important map to me, is held.

One of the Archives told me the author (sadly now deceased) was such an almost daily nuisance over ten years, they were glad when his research was typed up into about 10 Volumes and he stopped appearing.

So frustrating isn't it.

-----------

Re your BRICKWALL - WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.

I researched a 1940 Air Crash claimed in Buckinghamshire and searching to find a named 1940 farm location (although aircraft can leave a part/s trail in one County and crash in another), I seem to very vaguely recall the farm research left me with the feeling that the County boundaries neighbouring Bucks/Berks were different historically? (Before the 1974 change).

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Did someone mention Black Friday results somewhere?

I've just had 3 more 4-6th(or closer)  overnight, which makes 7 new close matches since Boxing Day. Only one very close (124) and most have no tree. The three today have no shared matches  >:(

How long will it be before the Christmas results come through?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »

I've just had 3 more 4-6th(or closer)  overnight, which makes 7 new close matches since Boxing Day. Only one very close (124) and most have no tree. The three today have no shared matches  >:(

Gadget

I expect it depends on how long people take to do the tests and send them in. I suspect that there will be a heck of a lot of test results coming our way in January and February. Just read an item from one of the Sunday papers columnists and she says she got 2 kits for Christmas and her sons got one each!!

I just wish they'd send the kits out along with a 'what to do next' sheet to try and get more testers to realise they'll only get full value from their tests if they make the effort to provide a tree and some locations. With most of my matches, not only do they not have a tree but I don't even know what country they're from.

Still, things might be looking up - I sent out a handful of emails yesterday afternoon, and two have already replied. That's a novelty in itself!!  ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »

Gadget

Well I ordered one on Cyber Monday which arrived the following Monday.  BUT I've only just got round to doing the sample tonight for posting tomorrow. ;)  That said, I thought I'd provided sufficient until the blue stabiliser was added and the amount dropped somewhat so I have a horrible feeling there will not be sufficient to test but we'll see.  :-X  I suffer from the problem of a dry mouth which isn't going to help providing a lot more spit. :(

I'm in the process of creating a direct ancestor only tree which is currently private with just years of birth and/or death and place.  If it remains private, what information will be provided to any potential matches, just the surnames or places too?  My profile states I'm in the UK but as all four of my grandparents were born in London but with ancestors from all over the place, it doesn't really help if I was to expand where I actually am as only a small number originate in this immediate area and that's only on one direct line.  I'm a bit uninclined to change it to public although with no sources attached it shouldn't get indexed anyway.  However, with 20+ years plus research, there are over a 1000 on the tree so far and its not finished.  All are backed up with a lot of paper research.  My other research (edit - read full trees) is all stored on my laptop and isn't heading for Ancestry any time soon.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day