Author Topic: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated  (Read 9959 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated
« Reply #54 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for supplying all this information Jim, I think this could be helpful.

If all goes to plan I believe my new work Rota will allow me to get to Tyne and Wear Archives at some point this week.  I have a marriage record which I have promised to look up for another RootsChatter too.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1845&qtr=3&vol=25&page=303&search=search

As you can see from this link, the marriage locator website shows that William Jobling and Mary Ann Marshall married at All Saints, in Newcastle upon Tyne. 

I can attempt to look this up.  I don't want to build your hopes up too much on this one as some of these early marriages are so badly faded it might be hard to make anything out.  I can't remember off the top of my head of this period for All Saints falls into the very faded category.  I might be thinking of another Church.  However, we shall see .. I will certainly take a look.

I think this would at least be a start to see what this might yield.  Hopefully, I will be able to make out some or even better all of what is on the record.  Then hopefully, there might be some strong pointers on where to turn next.

I will be back in touch on here soon as soon as I get the opportunity to get to TWAS and look at the relevant microfilm. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 14 January 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the GRO I am certain that William’s mother’s maiden name is Marshall.  There is a William with mmn Curley but the name doesn’t come up for any of the other children.  Also William’s brother Walter has Marshall as his middle name.

Looking at all the children which come up on a search for Jobling children with mmn Marshall I suspect there may be more than one Jobling/Marshall marriage but think that the 1845 Newcastle one fits well for yours.

Who are the 7 children you have for William and Mary Ann (just to compare with the list from GRO)

Christine

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 14 January 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
The children I have are
Sarah  1845    Gateshead
Isabella 1848  New Castle
Sarah 1851-52  New Castle
Edward 1853-53  New Castle
Walter Marshall   1855  New Castle All Saints
William     1857  (My direct ancestor if correct)   New Castle
Mary Ann  1860   Gateshead

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Edward whose birth was registered first quarter 1853 has a death registration in that same quarter
Another birth registration for Edward - second quarter 1864 Gateshead - sadly also a death registration in that same quarter
I also found an additional William - registered first quarter 1854 Newcastle who died in the same quarter.

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage at All Saints Church, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Actually the record is very good and not at all faded as I had feared.

Entry 177 page 89
July 30th 1845
William Jobling & Mary Ann Marshall
His age: Of full age
Her age: Minor
Bachelor & Spinster
William's Profession: Potter
Residence for both: Ballast Hills
Fathers:
Edward Jobling - Smith
Michael Marshall - Shipwright
Witnesses: Joseph Jobling & Jos. Pearson (Note I think last person was a Church worker as he signs other records too)
All Signed
Ceremony by (J or T?) R Greener, Incumbent of Byker

I wondered if Joseph might have been a brother of William so I looked and found this .. 

All Saints Church, Newcastle upon Tyne
Entry 46 Page 23
19th September 1837
Joseph Jobling & Elizabeth Oliver
Both of Full Age
Bachelor & Spinster
Joseph recorded as Glafsmaker (Glassmaker)
His residence - Mushroom (I asked the staff and apparently there was in place in Byker called Mushroom Quay in Byker)
Her residence - Ballast Hills
Fathers:
Edward Jobling - Blacksmith
Thomas Oliver - Husbandsman
Joseph signed.  Elizabeth signed with her mark X
Witnesses: George Lackland & Jos. Pearson

I also looked at Edward's marriage at St John, Newcastle upon Tyne.  Before I start this is not my predictive text gone mad .. ;D

Page 43
Edward Jobling of this Parifh and Isabella Coxton of this Parifh were married in this Church by Banns with Confent of (Blank Space) this twenty fourth Day of April in the Year One thoufand eight hundred and fourteen By me John Parkin (Kerr?)  This Marriage was Folemnized between us Edw  (rd raised) Jobling  Isabella Coxton's mark.
In the Prefence of
Robert Jobling
Henry (Co ---)?

I wonder if Robert might have been some relation such as a brother?  This may or may not be relevant but there was a Mary Isabella Jobling who married at All Saints in 1839 - I noticed her Father was Robert Jobling deceased and he was also a smith by trade.

Also Edward's burial at Ballast Hills Cemetery:

Entry 506
Foot depth 5 ft
Edward Jobling
Nail Maker
Ballast Hills
Age 68
Burial Date: Oct 3 1847

At same cemetery Edward Jobling son of William Jobling, Trade or Profession: Potter .. Abode Albion Row .. 1 day old buried March 2 1853.

I hope this might be some help. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Of some help does not even come close.  I do not know what I would do without the help and kindness of the people on this Northumberland board and thank you does not seem enough. You helped me so much on my Johnsons  also and any people who take on looking for names such as Johnson and Jobling when they have no relation will not be forgotten by me. 

The Joblings  appear to be falling into place and I know I should not put the cart before the horse but I am confident enough on the Marshall marriage to believe this is my ancestor.
On the Coxton/Coxon,  I am pretty confident and if this proves to be right it brings me right to Edward and Anne in Tynemouth and they are still in the running for his parents.

Jim

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
His residence - Mushroom (I asked the staff and apparently there was in place in Byker called Mushroom Quay in Byker)

Quote from https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=678505.msg5231886#msg5231886

Mushroom was the name given to a small area on the north bank of the River Tyne, between St Lawrence and St Peters in the east end of Newcastle. It was a couple of hundred yards to the east of the mouth of the Ouseburn. Alan Godfrey's map of Gateshead East (which includes the north bank) shows the area in 1895: Mushroom was surrounded by manure works, sawmills, a brass works, a whiting works and the St Lawrence foreign cattle sanitorium. Further afield were glassworks and one of the Maling pottery factories. There was a ferry from Mushroom to the Gateshead side, close to Allhusen's chemical works. Altogether not a very salubrious neighbourhood - but needs must ... my own 2x great grandfather lived there around 1861. --
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2000-05/0958928165

It's in the centre of the l-hand map here https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=54.9677&lon=-1.5826&layers=6&right=BingHyb
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »

I wondered if Joseph might have been a brother of William   

There is a birth registration of a Joseph Jobling, mmn Marshall, first quarter 1869 but I didn't mention this as the registration was in Chester-le-Street and I didn't see him mentioned in any of the census records.

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 17 January 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim, I am glad to read that this has been helpful.  From your information going back from your Grandmother, it does seem likely to me that the Edward who was the Smith in the Byker area is your ancestor.

I think it could also be possible that Edward and Ann are your ancestors too in North Shields - however, there might possibly be another contender for their son Edward perhaps?  On 28 July 1844 there is a 59 year old Edward Jobling who is buried at St Alban, Earsdon.

If he is the son of Edward and Ann I wonder whose son your Edward might be?

I also had an ancestor who was a Blacksmith called Ralph Marshall who lived in Byker at one point.  I would imagine he would have learned this skill from his own Father John Marshall who was a blacksmith in Meldon, Northumberland.  I think skills were often handed down.  However, it could still be possible I suppose that even that your Edward may have been apprenticed to a blacksmith to learn his trade perhaps after his Father died - presuming he may have been the mariner Edward.

When I can next get to Newcastle library fitting in with my work hours I could see if I can find a burial for Isabella Jobling which may also show a link to Edward, and then this would be more support to the idea that she was the one who married Edward in 1814.  I think it is interesting that one of their witnesses was a Robert Jobling.  I do wonder if he might be a brother possibly.   As I have mentioned, if he may have been and if he was the deceased Robert the Smith who was the Father of Mary Isabella who married at All Saints then I think there may be a possibility that he may also be buried at Ballast Hills.  I will also check to see if I can find anything to link him age wise with the Robert who was the one baptized at Christ Church.  I do realize though that ages were not always completely accurate in those days.  I think it might be worth a try though.

Thanks Jen for posting on 'Mushroom'.  I had never heard of a place in Byker called 'Mushroom' before Tuesday.  Even though it looked quite clear I thought I was seeing things but the staff agreed that this was what the entry recorded and they explained there was such a place in Byker at that time.  Jim, if you look a bit further on the thread that Jen posted you will see that Boo had also posted an interesting photo of 'Mushroom'.