Author Topic: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated  (Read 9964 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I did read the thread and saw the Mushroom area.  I find the local history fascinating and due to the close proximity of many towns I feel you have to a good feel for the area.

I have been busy looking at Joblings and there is a "chance" and I mean only a chance I may be related to Robert Jobling who was a painter of some renown in the area.   There are many painting of his on the web if you google Robert Jobling painter.   His son Joseph also painted.  They are mainly paintings of the area so even if I am not it has been most interesting looking at them.

If the Jobling Coxton marriage is my ancestor the relationships "may come" through their first child Joseph who likely married a Elizabeth Oliver and their first child was Robert.   He fits perfectly if this is the right family.

Even if this is not my ancestor it is very interesting looking at his paintings and they are many on many art house  sites. 

He also has a article on Wikipedia. 
www.johnnicholsonfineart.co.uk/department/robert-jobling-marine-landscape-and-figure-painter-in-oil-and-watercolour/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Jobling

I thought this might be of interest as he was a prolific painter and there are many examples on the web of the area.  His paintings seem to go for between 1000 and 3000 pound.
Jim

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 18 January 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Good Gracious Jim!  I have known about the renowned talented and gifted painter Robert Jobling but did not know anything about his background.  I did not know he was a local man .. I thought he had just been one of those artists who came and went.  So you think he could be one of your ancestors .. I think this would be quite thrilling for anyone to discover he was their ancestor!

Personally, I think he is likely to be your ancestor.  Robert Jobling registered Newcastle upon Tyne 1841 has a Mother's maiden name of Oliver. There is only one Robert Jobling registered for that year.  I think lots of other things are adding up too.  I am not surprised that an artist could come from such a family .. blacksmith, glassmaker, potter .. quite a creative lot I would say.

I wonder if artist Robert might have had an obituary in the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette?'  This was the local newspaper for the area where he seems to have died.  Unfortunately, the North Shields library where the old copies are, is closed temporarily at the moment due to a heating problem.  As soon as this is fixed and as soon as I can next get there I will certainly go and let you know if an obituary did appear.  Leave this with me and I will see if I can find out more. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 18 January 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply.  My friend defo has Joblings from this region but not the ones in question.  Hers are a very long line of Landed Gentry who marry Landed Gentry, and on it goes.

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 19 January 19 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit more information from the Ballast Cemetery records to pass on for your records Jim:

Sarah Jobling daughter of William Jobling,
Potter
Abode: Albion Row
Looks like: 18 months
Buried Oct 3 1852

Isabella Jobling daughter of Joseph Jobling
Glafsmaker
Abode: St Peter's
Buried Feb 3 1843

Also, a marriage at St Nicholas for Robert Jobling and Jane Sanderson on 10 Dec 1807.  Robert signed and Jane signed with her mark.  Witnesses William (Go---? or Co---?) and Thomas Brown. 
No real proof but I wonder if he may have been Edward's brother. 

On-line I can see a Mary Isabella Jobling who I believe may have been their daughter baptised 29 July 1820  at Gateshead born 8 July 1820.  I think she is the Mary Isabella I mentioned in a previous post who married Robert Frame at All Saints and her Father Robert the Smith was recorded as deceased.

Also, regarding Robert Jobling the artist .. I have discovered he died at 29 Victoria Terrace, Whitley Bay 'after a prolonged illness' (Journal) on Sunday 25 November 1923 and was buried at Whitley Bay Cemetery on the 28th.  His burial site is in Section B grave number 746.

Coincidentally, he lived a few doors down from some of my ancestors.

Hopefully, you will be able to see a cemetery map from this - click on the thumbnail picture to enlarge the map:

http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page8.htm

I have not been able to check the Whitley Bay newspaper as yet as North Shields library is still closed as the heating problem has not yet been rectified.  However, I have looked at three other newspapers at that time (Evening Chronicle/Journal/Illustrated Chronicle) and he is written about in all of them on Monday, 26 November 1923.  Lovely very long obituaries in the first two papers, plus a head shot photo in the Journal write up.  The Illustated Chronicle shows a lovely photo of him sitting at his easel at a river side with a contemplative expression on his face.

The Journal records that his first wife was .. 'Miss Chambers, a school mistress, of St Peter's Quay, their dwelling being in Shields Road, Heaton' ..  I believe she may possibly have been Ann Chambers and they married in 1868.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1868&qtr=2&vol=10b&page=226&search=search

Marriage locator seems to indicated one of two possible places - a Wesleyan Church or the Record Office.  In my experience of using this website if two places are given a marriage has usually taken place at one of them.  I wonder if he may have married at the Wesley Church?

Second wife was Isabella Thompson.

The Journal write up which was extremely long and beautifully written as 'An Appreciation.  By An Old Friend'
records:

.....'His life did not begin in very artistic surroundings.  His father was a glass-maker employed in the glasshouses of Sir Matthew White Ridley and Co. at St Lawrence, on the Tyne, and the boy commenced life as a worker alongside his father where he remained until he was 16 years of age.
After a time he left his work at the glasshouses and got a situation as a ship painter in the Tyne General Ferry Company's yard at St Peter's' ....

Evening Chronicle write up includes that he was born at St Lawrence (Newcastle)  ... 'But he had not the opportunities which fall to artists of the present day.  His father earned his living, and a somewhat meagre one, in the glass industry which flourished on Tyneside in those days, and as soon as the boy was old enough, he was sent to work in the glass factory to supplement the family income...'

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 19 January 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  Regarding Robert Jobling I have followed up on him quite extensively as I wanted to find out who his parents were if possible.
I thought there might be a family tree of some kind showing his lineage going back perhaps to his grandparents but there appears not to be as he was well known.   
I am sure however his parentsJoseph Jobling and Jane Oliver then he may be my ancestor if Josephs father and mother were Edward Jobling and Isabella Coxon.
It appears by going through the thread that the Coxon Jobling marriage is "maybe" my ancestor.  If this is the case or as good a case as can be so far back all is good.

Ancestor or not he was certainly a interesting man and so was his son and his second wife.  Painters Photographers.   Very artistic people.   I found a painting of Robert's that sold at Sothebys in London for 9000 pounds.   Not huge in the field of fine art but certainly not a pittance.    I also found over a 8 year period 2008 2016 paintings that were sold that were painted by him totaled over 100,000 pounds.
When he died he left an estate of 1800 pounds to his son Joseph who was a  technical photographer

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 20 January 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Jim.

What a silly clot I am though, something has just occurred to me belatedly which I now wish I had thought of the other week when I was at the archives...

I think it might be a good idea to check the signatures of Joseph Jobling on the two All Saints marriage records I found to try to ascertain if these appear to have been written by the same person.

*Joseph Jobling and Elizabeth Oliver - 19th September 1837 - Joseph signed.

*William Jobling and Mary Ann Marshall - July 30th 1845 (Joseph signed as a witness)

Jim, working back from your Grandmother it does seem likely that William and Mary Ann will be your ancestors.  Interestingly, he and Joseph both have Fathers recorded as Edward Jobling (Blacksmith/Smith). 

I think as Robert Jobling (artist)  mmn is Oliver his parents will no doubt be the ones above.

I do wonder if the Joseph who signed as witness on William's marriage may have been a relation, such as a brother.  Of course, if the two signatures are the same, this will still not tell us what relationship there was but this will suggest that the same man was at both weddings and this may give more support (along with Father's name and occupation) to the idea that they may have been brothers.

I wish this had occurred to me last week but I was too focussed then on writing down information in the little time I had and I never thought to make a comparison of the signatures.  Apologies for that.

I am wondering if anyone gets a chance to go to the Northumberland Archives soon and if they have time would they kindly be able to check out these two signatures and kindly let us know if these might be the same?

It looks like Northumberland Archives have the All Saints marriages 1600-1958.

If it is not possible for someone to do this I will of course do this myself as soon as my work hours next make it possible for me to do so.
Thank you.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 20 January 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

Today after Church, as the Whitley Bay Cemetery is not too far from me, I went to find artist Robert Jobling's grave.

This is the memorial inscription on his gravestone:

'IN LOVING MEMORY OF
ROBERT JOBLING
ARTIST
WHO DIED NOVEMBER 25TH 1923
AGED 82 YEARS
ALSO
ISA WIFE of THE ABOVE
DIED OCTOBER 8TH 1926
AGED 75 YEARS'

I have taken a couple of photos and if you would like these - send your email by pm and I will forward on to you.  I don't know if there might be any rules against posting publicly.

On the off chance that one day you and your wife might visit the North East here and may wish to visit the grave it can be found on the pathway between sections B and D on the cemetery map.  I know this may never happen - it is quite a hike from Winnipeg to Whitley Bay - just letting you know just in case one day it might be a possibility for you. :)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 20 January 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I can check the signatures for you - so far nothing else on my list.

Christiine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 21 January 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christine .. that would be fantastic if you could examine the signatures and give your opinion as to whether these might be the same .. I do hope so!

Hi Jim I have now sent the photos to you as promised.  I have noticed that there is something else written on the base of the gravestone which I did not notice when I was actually at the cemetery but I can now see this on one of the photos which I have sent you.  I think I did not notice because the writing is small and was a bit obscured by the dampness at that part of the gravestone.  This end inscription appears to record

'YOU LORD HAVE MADE ME GLAD ..'

When I can next get to the cemetery at some point I will look again and find out what the full last line is.

Incidentally, I have noticed in an earlier post I have mistakenly written that the artist Robert Jobling died at 29 Victoria Terrace - he died at 29 Victoria Avenue - so not near my ancestors after all.  These are streets apart.  So just to confirm death place was Victoria Avenue.

I have also been able to find an obituary today in the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Visitors' Gazette' dated December 1 1923.  This is kept in the local studies at North Shields library.  The staff kindly brought out their 'Artists' folders from out the back to show me.  There is quite a lot of stuff on Robert in these folders.  Apparently there is an more recent article in the Newcastle Journal Friday October 30 1992 which shows head shot photos of both Robert and wife Isa.  Also, in another article in the Newcastle Journal dated Tuesday May 2 1993 there is an article which records that Robert and wife Annie married in 1868 and after she died in 1891 Robert married Isa two years later.  The Journal records that socially they were worlds apart as she was the daughter of a wealthy ship owner and had gone to a Paris art school.

The obituary in the Whitley Bay paper (which was a weekly paper) mostly is a copy of what appeared in the Newcastle papers but this is the end part which relates to the funeral:

Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitors' Gazette - Saturday, December 1, 1923

...'The funeral took place on Wednesday, at Whitley New Cemetery.
The Rev. Samuel Pearson conducted the service at the graveside.
The principal mourners were; Mr and Mrs Joseph Jobling, Mr Bert and Ted Jobling (sons), Mr Edward Jobling (brother), Mr and Mrs Geo. P. Elliot and Mr and Mrs Thomas Robson (daughters and sons-in-law), Mr Cecil Jobling (grandson), Mr Jesse Ewen and Mr Robertson.
Others present were: Mr J. T. Atkinson (representing the Bewick Art Club), Mr T. Richardson. Mr R. Ward (representing Mr. Charles Williams, Director of Education, Northumberland Education Committee), Mr Percy Wilcox, Mr H. B. Saint, Mr G. Russell, Mr John Chambers (artist), of North Shields.
There were also present a large number of the members of the art profession at the cemetery.
Many wreaths were sent from friends, notably from the Pen and Palette Club, the staff and students of King Edward VII School of Art, Newcastle Society of Artists, and the Bewick Club, Newcastle.
A memorial service will be held in the Tynemouth Congregational Church by the Rev. Samuel Pearson, tomorrow, Sunday, the 2nd inst. at 10.45 a.m.'