Author Topic: What was Elsie’s job?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was Elsie’s job?
« on: Friday 28 December 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 census records my grandmother’s occupation (she was 16) as ‘clearing cotton mill’. What does this actually mean please?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: What was Elsie’s job?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »

Possibility.........Interesting read...............

Clearing.—After the first, or the final, doubling it is often necessary to remove lumps, imperfect knots and loose fibres from a thread. This is accomplished by passing each through a slit, or clearer, whose width is adjusted to the diameter of the thread to be treated. By this means anything which gives a thread abnormal bulk will be prevented from passing the slit. Once through the slit, a thread is coiled upon a friction-driven, double or single-headed bobbin. If the former, the coils are evenly laid; if the latter, they are disposed into a bottle shape. Or, again, cheeses may be wound.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Cotton-spinning_Machinery

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra! You’re a star  :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:36 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 there are 4 individuals (inc Elsie) with the occupation "Clearing cotton mill" (one reads "Clearing at a cotton mill").

One,  in the Column headed "Industry or Service with which the worker is connected" has the additional information "Cotton Doubler".

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 December 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
stanmapstone describes cotton doubler - on this previous thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=212145.0

Doubling -  (I) The process of combining two or more strands of roving or sliver and drawing out the resulting strand. The purpose of this operation is to increase the uniformity of the cotton strand and, ultimately of the yarn made from it. (II) The act of winding two or more strands of yarn onto one package without twisting them.
Doubling Machine -  A machine which folds cloth to half or quarter of its original width

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I had an evening job many years ago in a mill.  I was a "picker".  My friend and I would lift rolls of woven cloth onto a machine with the full roll at the top and pull the cloth down to an empty roll at the  bottom of the machine.  Then we would scan the material for any defects (such as wrong coloured thread) and pull them out with tweezers.  :)  It kept us busy for 4 hours and, at least, the room we were in was quiet, unlike the weaving shed where you couldn't hear yourself thing.  This was about 1970 and there were no ear covers for the weavers, so I guess they just went deaf eventually.