Author Topic: looking for this street in Wellington  (Read 2490 times)

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for this street in Wellington
« Reply #18 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Does this help?
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 December 18 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it helps to some extent in that Joseph ANDREWS was a resident at one time in Wordsworth Street.     ;)   
Edit :  My correction ... having re-read this thread.  ???   It was in fact Robert RICE who had lived at # 17 Wordsworth Street, hence my striking through the above name of Joseph ANDREWS.

It did lead me to further exploring Wordsworth Street > which apparently was an earlier name for the lower portion of what is now Aro Street  >  and this end of the street joins with the major route of Willis Street.   Jos. ANDREWS (Venetian blind/ packing case maker), business premises had the address of 205 (and later 272) Willis Street.   The actual Wordsworth Street was probably a mere laneway and at sometime abutted buildings on Willis Street.    Te Aro School was also in this vicinity.
Obviously there was a lot of infill housing/buildings added to the area between mid 1890's (houses numbered to # 223) and 1916 (beyond # 272 ) - and it was not unknown for house numbers to be changed.

~  Lu

Edit : Don't take too much notice of my "findings" linking Wordsworth ST. to buildings on Willis Street.  Just having another look at old maps ... it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.   ::)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 December 18 03:40 GMT (UK) »
https://www.google.com/maps/place/67+Nairn+St,+Mount+Cook,+Wellington+6011/@-41.2994427,174.7681674,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d38b0211

Gosh ... I stumbled upon this house when searching Nairn Street.  ???

Sure ... it is numbered # 67 ... but I couldn't help thinking that it bore a real resemblance to the house of the mid-1890's in the photograph.    Does anyone agree ?    ;D

Considering the passage of time and the alterations it may have had, it sure looks like a "contender" to me.   ;D

Enlarge the image of the roof of the house at left-hand side and look at that chimney stack.   

*   The chimney pots seem to be identical.    ???
*   Has the left side of the verandah maybe been filled in to create another room.  There is a vertical board placed not far from where a join might have been created.

*   Original verandah posts probably replaced when the lattice-work trim was added ?

*   Fence replaced with pickets ... but very similar line (and street gradient) to the older photo ?

I'm off to explore further.

~  Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 December 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »

*    Is anyone able please,  to check for school records for the RICE children  - 1884 +   ??

~  Lu

Janet born 28 Feb 1888 attended Te Aro Infants on the 20 Feb 1893.  Left on the 20 March 1893.  At that time they were living in Cuba Street.

On the 30  Oct 1893 was at Mt Cook Infants, Wellington, and living in Tasman Street.  Fathers occupation was a Lumper.

On 12 March 1900 at Mt Cook Girls, Wellington,  left on the 20 Sept 1901 and I guess it was for Home Duties.  Last School was Dixon Street (RC).  Address at that time was 48 Nairn Street.

Mabel, birth Jan 1884 also attended Te Aro Infants on the 4 November 1889, with the family living in Mitchelltown (the way it has been typed) and also attended Mt Cook Infants/Girls.

Yes, Lu the house does look like a contender.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 December 18 04:38 GMT (UK) »
That's great KHP ... many thanks.   :)   Gives me a bit more to work on.

Yep, that house ... glad you agree.  ;D    Shame the tree (at right) is in the way ... but the roof line also fits with the older house. 

Best wishes for the New Year, KHP. 
Regards,
              ~  Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 December 18 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Back to you Lu :)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 December 18 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Agree Lu that the house is a real contender. 

Interesting that they did live at 48 Nairn street, according to the school records info KHP posted.

As an aside, if my memory serves me correctly, I flatted in the 2 storey house next door in the 1970's.

WNW

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 December 18 06:09 GMT (UK) »
ooh ... glad that you think so too, WNW.   ;)

Have now been able to look at street views of 67 Nairn, from 2008 / 2009 / 2015.
My guess that the original wrap-around verandah had been partially filled in to create a room, is now satisfied with a much clearer side view of the house.   Likewise, a shot of the right-hand front of the house with a little less of the tree obscuring it, shows a window which looks identical to the one in 1890's picture.

Nairn Street actually was not very far away if the family lived at lower Aro Strret (Wordsworth St) near the Willis St. junction.   And if they'd resided at number 48 then they may well have also lived at number 67 ?   I suspect they were renters rather than home owners ?
Have looked at the Wellington City Council Archives records, but they don't tell much - except that # 67 dates from the mid-1890's.

Amazing coincidence that you flatted right next door !   ;)
I know Nairn St. because my mama also flatted there when she arrived in Wellington.   A more distinct memory of the street for me though, was being taken there by my driving instructor to practice the dreaded "hill starts" (manual car).  Nightmare-ish stuff !   ::)

~  Lu

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 December 18 06:18 GMT (UK) »

I suspect they were renters rather than home owners ?

~  Lu

Just guess work on my part, but it probably depended how much work and pay Robert got and received, if work was constant, and how much rent they could afford, and probably why they moved streets.

Those hill starts, they were indeed a nightmare. :D

Cheers
KHP