Author Topic: looking for this street in Wellington  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for this street in Wellington
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 December 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I have done a google street search of Holloway Road and couldn't see a house that resembles the one in the photo.  This appears to be a "grand" house as it had two double chimneys which is what I was looking out for when searching.  Possibly the house could have been in Polhill Gully which was at the top of Holloway Road.  Polhill Gully became the suburb of Mitchelltown in 1877.  It went on to become a reserve in 1989.

In the Wises Directory for 1898-99 Robert Rice was living at 17 Wordsworth Street.  This became Aro Street.  This appears to be a vacant lot now.

WNW

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 December 18 05:05 GMT (UK) »
The more that I look at this photo it reminds me of Nairn street (top of Willis street) where I used to flat.  It was a very steep street and I got used to walking up and down it to the bus stop.
Do you know if the family ever lived on this street?
The family lived around this area; 272 Willis street c 1911.

WNW

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 December 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi kiwi jeanie

I didn't get to post my findings yesterday, but like WNW (Wendy), I'd also done Google street searches of some of the addresses you mentioned and came to the same conclusion regarding the house in your photo ... and funnily enough, at first glance, I'd also thought of Nairn Street.    ;D

[Holloway Road has a relatively gentle gradient and is set in a narrow-ish gully with lush vegetation surrounding the houses.  It's rather damp and dank at times, but full of "character" - I remember sketching some of the quirky houses years ago when I was an art student.   ???   Certainly worthy of a Google street map search, even today !    The area began as a settlement for workers, hence the style of the housing - "workingmen's cottages" mainly, (though there are examples of larger houses dating from late 1800s. ]   I don't believe the house in the photo belongs in that setting.  ]

So, Holloway Road can be discounted ... and (I personally) would also rule out Polhill Gully ... and Mitchelltown in general, which forms part of the Aro Valley and lies amid steep hills and the same lush native vegetation.

My guess is that the house in question, was nearer to the Mount Cook area (which includes Tasman Street).   

~  Lu                                                                                      see next   >>

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at the 1893 electoral roll (when the women of our fine little country where first afforded the "vote"), Janet Edith Louisa RICE, married woman, can be found residing at "Tasman Street" (and as mentioned earlier, she is still listed there in 1896 ).    Edited to add:   She's still on the 1900 Wellington e/roll ... at Tasman Street.  She has a "residential" qualification, so it's likely she doesn't own the house she resides in ?
Edited to add:   In Wendy's Reply # 4 she mentions in respect of the Suffrage Petition 1893 - Janet RICE residing at 68 Cuba Street :

Tasman Street, which runs from Buckle Street (bordered by the brick Police Barracks building), through to John Street, (near the former Alexandra Hospital), does actually have some steep parts - from about the location of the old Boy's Institute building (left side heading South), to where the street intersects with Drummond Street.  And from the John Street end, heading towards Drummond St, the gradient is similar to that in your photo.  Of course a lot of demolition of houses has occurred in this area, but I consider it to have been a more likely setting for a "slightly grander" house or "town house".

If you enlarge the photo, you'll notice a "house number" is placed on the fence post near the gate.
I can make out the lower number >>  8  >> ... what is the top number ??   A  >> 7   or a >>  9 >>  ??     

Heading South say, along left of Tasman Street, I think the houses in this steeper section, were built on the ridge line ... so that might explain why there is "clear air" in this photo.   (Not sure what the large tree resting on side of house is ?   Macrocarpa / a pine, maybe ? )   

Interested to hear what ages you think the girls in the photo, were ?   (My guess -- about 12 and 16).

~  Lu 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
There may be some other things we can do to ascertain the actual street number of the Tasman Street address for Janet RICE and her family ?

*    Is anyone able please,  to check for school records for the RICE children  - 1884 +   ??

*    The child born as Joseph Reginald RICE, died aged 10 months in 1896 - buried 24 December at Karori Cemetery. 
Might be worth contacting the Cemetery office to see if they have additional info ... eg place of death, address of parents.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lu

As Wellington is not my scene, do you have an opinion as what the large V, that appears to be original to the photo is ?  Middle left, above distant neighbour's chimney pot? House probably a reasonably standard 5 room home of the 1880's BUT probably more as there appears to be a substantial leanto at the back. Therefore a large family house for that era.

The tree appears to be Macrocarpa [I don't think Totora and not a pine] and would be some 15 to 20 years old. Presumably left to grow so big, so close to the house, because of the wind shelter it provided. Is the footpath concrete, or is that a big wheel rut on the carriage way ?

Alan

PS Edit added. Melbourne 1907 possibly similar Ladies hats.

https://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:9817/Parker.pdf

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Gate post enlarged

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Enlarged - the "V"