Author Topic: You know more about DNA testing than Daily Mail readers  (Read 458 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
You know more about DNA testing than Daily Mail readers
« on: Saturday 29 December 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
The following link is to a Daily Mail article about one family getting a surprise from their DNA test results. It's a boring story, but the naive comments from people who don't know anything about the subject are quite entertaining and much better reading than the actual article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6535547/Man-ruins-Christmas-buying-entire-family-AncestryDNA-kits.html

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: You know more about DNA testing than Daily Mail readers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 December 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I didn't bother reading the link in full and only gave it a quick glance, because I was told about this story a few days ago. Its a bit of a fizzer really and no big deal considering the father of the first child died before the woman had more children with another man.  ::)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 December 18 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Daily Mail comments are almost always better than the articles!

:D :D

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Martin - I  know it's one of your favourites  but I don't think it should be consulted for scientific (or even just factual) accuracy.

Gadget

PS - not sure about the others, but I'd think that anything from the Daily Mail is best on the ToT Board  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Possibly not favourite, it's just that the Guardian and the Daily Mail websites are both free.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 December 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Possibly not favourite, it's just that the Guardian and the Daily Mail websites are both free.

Martin

But The Guardian keeps asking for a donation!  I'd rather read a "real" newspaper, although I do look at others on line.

Offline wee Hugh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 December 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Can't speak for readers of the Daily Mail, but I think most of us know more about most things than the people who write for it.

Does DNA testing cause cancer or cure it?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 December 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Can't speak for readers of the Daily Mail, but I think most of us know more about most things than the people who write for it.

Does DNA testing cause cancer or cure it?

No idea, but I do know that it's all the fault of immigrants.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 December 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Mmm.....

....according to Gedmatch, my dna sugggests these for my ancient origins:
 :-X

Added - I did this a while ago so it might have changed  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk