Author Topic: Service Record Signature  (Read 1922 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service Record Signature
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 December 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
The signature posted earlier is that of an HWW of South Tottenham who served 1914 to 1918 and who went back to live in Eltham at war's end.  There is another of a Clapham HWW who was 41 when he signed on in Nov 1915.  Another of a Stroud Green man invalided out in 1917 married to Rosetta Augusta.  As bertieburrell points out, there are a number of H Wilkinson's for whom no signed document survives, if your man is among them then he won't be found by looking for a signature, far more sensible to look at other clues - or is the Royal Marine your man - I am unsure?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 December 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Ken, This might be a bit simplistic, and it is difficult to speculate as you have not given the details.

If your paperwork is right (do you have original copies of documents?), and the DNA is obviously right, it could be that you are incorrectly dismissing the Essex Wilkinsons only because you can't find the right birth or baptism (he may have been registered with forenames the other way around for example, or born out of wedlock and registered with his mmn). It is possible that the Essex and Norfolk Wilkinsons are connected somewhere along the line given the locations.

If you are finding connections to other Wilkinsons who have taken DNA tests is it possible that their paperwork is incorrect?

Does Herbert William's SA marriage certificate give his father's name?

Lastly, I am not sure how you are approaching this search. What do you know to be fact? Are you certain that SA Herbert is YOUR Herbert?
(I originally thought you have original documents passed through the family but on further reading I am not sure).

Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood any of this and am giving dodgy advice.  ;)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I was about to post something similar to Ruskie hence my mention of other clues. We are I think both suggesting that you should start from what you know to be fact and then look at facts for your likely candidates and see how they fit.  How many English Herbert William Wilkinsons could there be who served in the British forces and who had a close connection to specific places in South Africa?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia