Author Topic: UK and Colonial Port Numbers - Seaman Records  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
UK and Colonial Port Numbers - Seaman Records
« on: Sunday 30 December 18 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if someone has an interest and/or knowledge in relation to the UK and Colonial Port Numbers as registered on a Seaman's record.

Background - Have ggg-grandfather, James Kearney from Liverpool, who was a registered seaman and I have located his Register Ticket (copy attached).

Against the record are what seems to be Port numbers on where he has travelled (copy attached).

I have read through the information on the National Archives website in relation to BT113 but having difficulty in trying to interpret what they are saying and what I have on the records.  I have located a listing of numbers also from the National Archives, but just don't know if I am looking in the right place.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  It is a field I haven't explored before.

Regards,
Suzanne

Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK and Colonial Port Numbers - Seaman Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
deleted

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think your message was deleted.
Suzanne
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:26 GMT (UK) »
The records in the BT113 series are always difficult to interpret. Not least because certain record writer's, used their own form of shorthand. What appears to be the digits 250 would be the vessels Port Rotation Number. No "Key or Index" exists that links an individual Port Rotation Number to an individual ships name. The fact that a ship would also change PRN every year or so.
The ship he sailed on was registered in Liverpool ( Port Number 62).
So it appears the ship sailed from Liverpool on 2/Oct/1847 and returned 26/?/1848.
Crew Lists for Liverpool ships are stored in the BT98 series at the National Archives. They cannot be read online.

As Liverpool was the second largest UK port during this period, these records could run into thousands of crew agreements.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=liverpool&_cr=bt98&_dss=range&_sd=1847&_ed=1848&_ro=any&_st=adv

I suggest you look at Newspapers of the period to see if you can find vessels sailing from the Mersey around 2/Oct/1847. This would narrow the search in BT98. Good luck.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 18 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Seaweed for your reply and information.

I didn't think it would be an easy process but will follow-up on your suggestions.

I was hoping that the numbers would give me a lead as to how and when (possibly circa 1825) that my James Kearney arrived in Australia.  I have searched so much I have just about given up in him.

Cheers from Suzanne