Author Topic: Edwin Bayliss  (Read 2003 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Bayliss
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 December 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Sir Wyke Bayliss died on 5 April 1906, according to his obituaries and probate entry.

He was baptised 6 Sep 1836 at Madeley.  Parents: John Cox Bayliss (schoolmaster) & Anne, of Brockholes.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Information on the Bayliss family of Bayliss, Jones and Bayliss here:  http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/OtherTrades/BCN/BJB.htm
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 December 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Although my gt gt grandfather says he was related to Bayliss Jones and Bayliss and Wyke Bayliss, neither of us has ever b een able to find an actual connection.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 December 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Although my gt gt grandfather says he was related to Bayliss Jones and Bayliss and Wyke Bayliss, neither of us has ever b een able to find an actual connection.

It’s always wise to take family claims of connections to famous namesakes with a pinch of salt!

You’ve probably seen this, about the life & family of John Cox Bayliss:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7d/
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
You know that the date given for his marriage to Emma Williams is incorrect. So perhaps some of the other information might not be 100% accurate.
Have you checked the three Edwin Bayliss marriages that I found on freeBMD? All three are in the Birmingham area. If you trace the couples in the next available census after the marriage, you can rule them in or out. Perhaps his first wife died, or perhaps one of them deserted the other.
I think the key is to trace his first marriage and wife. Then you may be able to place him in an earlier census.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I've checked every Edwin Bayliss I can find, everywhere and none of them seems to be right. I agree, finding a first marriage would be the key. My theory is that he married very young then either ran away and met Emma, or met Emma and the two of them ran away together. They possibly then got married after he had news of the death of his first wife. There seems to be no sign of him on civil or parish registrations or censuses before the birth of his first child with Emma in 1858 in Chelsea.