Author Topic: Ernerst William Hall 1906-1930  (Read 1382 times)

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernerst William Hall 1906-1930
« on: Sunday 30 December 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm an Ashington lad lost in Pembrokeshire for the last 40 years.

I would appreciate anyone using the library to lookup any information in the Evening Chronicle, or the Journal or any more local papers of the era, about my Great Uncle Ernest.

Any information about him, his shop, the accident from whatever source would be appreciated.

Grandmother told me he died in a "Collision between his motorcycle and a bus, on his way to his cobbler's shop in Morpeth”

National Probate Calendar  states “died 8 April 1930  On the highway between Guidepost and High Pit Choppington both in Northumberland”

I recall regularly visiting his grave at Seaton Hirst with my grandmother. I have a photograph of the headstone, with his mother.

I have a photograph of him in his shop doorway with a young assistant.
The photograph is annotated with the name Dennis, presumably this young assistant.
The permanent sign is “Electric Shop” with a printed paper sign E W Hall in the window.

My Grandmother referred to him him often. Because of this bit of family history I did not get a motorcycle until after my grandmother's death.

I can add the photographs if they are of any interest - and once I have mastered the restrictions of this particular site!

https://mediasvc.ancestry.co.uk/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/f7a4ae56-aff9-47f4-91e6-406f41f642cd.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq&maxWidth=1903&maxHeight=1036

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernerst William Hall 1906-1930
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 04 April 1930

In the early morning fog yesterday Ernest W. Hall, aged 24, of 18, Coronation Terrace, Ashington, collided with a 'bus while cycling to Morpeth and was killed.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 04 April 1930

In the early morning fog yesterday Ernest W. Hall, aged 24, of 18, Coronation Terrace, Ashington, collided with a 'bus while cycling to Morpeth and was killed.

Thank you. That confirms my grandmother's story of low lying mist or fog in a dip in the road, that a bus was involved and that he was on his way to work in Morpeth.

He lived with his parents at 18 Coronation Terrace.

4th April edition and 'yesterday' puts the event on 3rd April, not the 8th April as I stated.
This prompted me to recheck and I had mis-transcribed the record.
3rd April it is as confirmed by the headstone

"In loving memory of Ernest William Dearly loved Son of George & Mary A Hall crossed over on April 3rd 1930 in his 24th year. The above George Hall entered the higher life May 15th 1935 aged 67 years".

Odd that it the story made its way so far south.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
I can check the local newspapers you mention and perhaps a couple of others which might show a report.  However, this may take up to a few weeks depending on when work/commitments will fit in with library opening hours.  I will do the checking if you don't mind a little wait? :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I can check the local newspapers you mention and perhaps a couple of others which might show a report.  However, this may take up to a few weeks depending on when work/commitments will fit in with library opening hours.  I will do the checking if you don't mind a little wait? :)

I have been pottering about with my family tree for years, so another month or three will make no difference.

After all this time the only thing that seems to ever change is that more information becomes more accessible.

Above all you are doing me an immense favour - who and what would I be trying to put deadlines on that!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Great .. leave this with me and I will get back to you on here within the next few weeks to let you know if I can find more. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi R T Cosic,

I was able to reach the Newcastle City library after work shortly before closing time yesterday and was able to find the article below:

Newcastle Journal - Saturday, 5 April 1930 (Page 7)

'COLLISION IN FOG.
Ashington Jury Exonerate
Bus Driver
The road mishap near Choppington in the dense fog on Thursday morning, resulting in the death of an Ashington boot repairer, Ernest William Hall (23), was the subject of a Coroner's inquiry at Ashington last night.
Hall, who lived at 18, Coronation Terrace, Ashington, was riding his motor-cycle towards Morpeth when he was involved in a head-on collision with a motor-bus.
John Thomas Thompson, an eye-witness of the accident, said the bus, which was proceeding cautiously, appeared through the fog three or four yards ahead of him.  At the same time the motor-cyclist approached from the opposite direction, and seemed to run straight into the bus.
Coroner H. J. Percy said it was clear that Hall had been driving with his head down in the fog, and had not been keeping the look-out he should have done.
In returning a verdict of "Accidental death" the jury exonerated the bus driver.'

I also checked the Evening Chronicle on microfilm but a notice appears on this relating that several editions of this newspaper are missing - unfortunately the missing ones cover the dates an article may have appeared.

I have made a start but have not finished yet on checking for anything else which might be available at this library regarding Ernest.  As soon as work again permits I will have another look at the library to see if there might be anything else.  So R T Cosic, watch out for another post during the next few weeks when I hope to be able to let you know whether or not there may be any more. :)

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Many, many thanks! That report is so comprehensive I doubt anything new will turn up.

It vindicates my grandmother's story totally which is reassuring. She left me with a few other stories so knowing this one was accurate in every detail bodes well for the others.

I would be interested to learn more of the 'Electric Shop' in Morpeth though.I doubt we will stumble across anyone who knows who Dennis was.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate any more on Ernest.  I think he might have had notices but the relevant pages at the library are missing. :-\

However, just to add to your records I have found this notice for his Father.  You may already have this but I am sending just in case you don't and might like to have this:

Evening Chronicle - Thursday May 16, 1935

'HALL.- Ashington, 18, Coronation Terrace, 15th, (suddenly) aged 6(7?) years, George (late shoe-repairer, 64, Newgate Street, Morpeth), beloved husband of Mary A. Hall.  Interment Seaton Hirst Church-yard  Saturday: service at residence 1.15 p.m.  All friends kindly invited.

Well, I think that may be all I can do on George's son Ernest in my neck of the woods.  However, do you know the address of the shop as this possibly may be of help for anyone to possibly find more, perhaps in the Northumberland area.

Best Wishes with the researching  RT! :)

(Oh no .. the Christmas smileys have gone .. oh well, will look forward to them again next year .. good while it lasted.) ;)