Author Topic: Ernerst William Hall 1906-1930  (Read 1383 times)

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest William Hall 1906-1930
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hmm. Interesting!

That is indeed my great grandfather George Hall of 18 Coronation Terrace who died 15 May 1935 aged 67.

But he was a Coal Miner, not a shoe repairer. Unless he took over the running of Ernest's shop on his death. Maybe the young 'Dennis' was doing the actual cobbler's work and George just did the administrative side? Who knows? That is news to me.  My great grandmother Mary Ann Saul 1870-1953 has 'Unpaid Domestic Duties' in the 1939 Census so presumably the cobbler's shop at 64 Newgate closed on George's death or maybe the business passed on to 'Dennis'? It now intrigues me the number of times we drove by there but my Mother never mentioned its significance. Maybe she never bothered to find out. I am surprised my grandmother didn't point  out her late brother's shop though.

I attach his George's photograph at 18 Coronation Terrace.

https://mediasvc.ancestry.co.uk/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/b2b6bbd1-a379-40c3-b650-9876d416c3f6.jpg?client=TreeService&maxside=280

Looking again at the photograph of Ernest's shop there appears to be a number 6 on the very right hand edge.

https://mediasvc.ancestry.co.uk/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/f7a4ae56-aff9-47f4-91e6-406f41f642cd.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq&maxWidth=1903&maxHeight=1036

This would correspond with its address being 64 Newgate Street.

Looking at today's Google Streetview this would appear to be one shop westward of the corner of Newgate and Manchester. The photograph is consistent with the simple 2 story structure that still exists. Today this seems to be Nacho Nacho and 62 and 64 combined into one shop and looks a lot poorer for it. The passageway to the left of Ernest's photograph seems to have acquired a red painted door today.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1694256,-1.6914939,3a,48.8y,42.79h,86.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swGmYDEBUYU1f9gXiyLJOoQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

So I suspect you have gleaned more than you first realised! The actual address gives me something I might be able to expand upon. But there cannot be much meat left on those bones. Unless some-one knows the make and model of his motorcycle!

Many many thanks once again and have a Christmas thingy. It is still Christmas for us as I keep my late father's Orthodox tradition of following the Julian calendar - so 2 Christmases for our family. Roast pork tonight.

Bob

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernerst William Hall 1906-1930
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

That's interesting that George was a miner, and yet the death notice records him as a shoe repairer.  I wonder if he might have taken over the management of the business after Ernest's death, perhaps with young Dennis carrying out the actual repairs.

Perhaps if there might be a Roots Chatter out there who might be able to locate some local directories of that time covering Morpeth, it might be possible to find out more.  The 'Ward's Directory ' is a good one.  Perhaps these directories might record who was down as the proprietor before and after George's death.  I do think it would be worth trying to locate these.  Who knows ..  it might turn out that young Dennis may have become the proprietor after George died.  I wonder also if there might be an entry for George at his home address and if an occupation might be recorded after his name.

I wonder if these Ward's directories which might cover Newgate Street, might be at a local library in the Morpeth area or at the Northumberland Archives?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Good call on the directories RTL  :)

Woodhorn do not have every year but I looked at all those which might be relevant - all data from Kelly’s directories

1925 - no mention of Hall in the commercial section
1929 - Hall, George and E. W. Bootmakers and repairers 64 Newgate Street
1934 - Hall, Geo. Boot Repairer 64 Newgate Street
1938 - Hall, Mary Ann (Mrs.) Boot repr. 64 Newgate Street

Unfortunately the commercial listings are by name rather than address so I wasn’t able to find what 64 Newgate Street had been prior to the Halls taking it over but I’m thinking that perhaps it was an Electric shop

Hope you find this interesting

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 19 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for travelling to the archives Christine and checking this out.  This definitely supports what was found in George's death notice then.  It would seem that George did carry on the business.

Bob, perhaps if there might be anyone left in your family you can talk to about this, you never know .. perhaps someone might know if George gave up his coal mining for the business or whether he managed to do both. 

I think this was very kind of Christine to look through all those directories and find corroborating evidence for you. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 January 19 07:02 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if Ernest's parents had a part in the business, possibly as guarantors for rent or loans.
I'm even more surprised to find that for at least two years after George's death my g grandmother seems to have owned the business, but had given it up by the 1939 Census.

Thanks to all for digging out all those nuggets.

Bob

Offline R T Cosic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 19 07:08 GMT (UK) »
My mother died last year. She was the last of her generation and even she was barely 2 years old when her Uncle Ernest died and 7 when her grandfather George died. I had already extracted everything she had - both documentation and memory.

I really think think this well is dry, having delivered far more than I ever thought available.

Thanks to all.

Seems I need to find a new puzzle to set you! Such as following an obscure set of in laws I found at 40 1/2 Castle Terrace Ashington in 1939.

In 1953 my father bought his first property - a flat at 40 1/2 Castle Terrace!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 07:59 GMT (UK) »
The coincidences of life!

Start a new thread and see what transpires  :)