Author Topic: Place name in parish register?  (Read 341 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Place name in parish register?
« on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone might be able to decipher the name of the place in this parish register entry. I’m afraid that the image looks a bit fuzzy.

Dave :)

(Parish register of Ratby in Record Office for Leics., Leicester and Rutland)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Place name in parish register?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Graby to me (Gra- at the end of the line and -by at the start of the next line)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place name in parish register?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JenB, that makes sense because what is now Groby used to be in Ratby parish (used to be spelled “Grooby” and is now always pronounced locally as if it still is). I didn’t expect the word to be split like that. I need to get more attuned to these quirks.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight