Author Topic: Historic Prison Records South Australia  (Read 329 times)

Offline Skydancer48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Historic Prison Records South Australia
« on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I found through researching that a relative of mine was imprisoned at the age of 17 for murder (1952) South Australia. He escaped execution as he  was 2 months short of his 18th birthday at the time of sentencing. If he was still alive and in prison he would be 85 years old now. I have not found any death records as yet for him, however my research is only just beginning.
My question is - apart from contacting the prison, which I intend on doing,are there other ways of finding out about prisoner release records, or whether he may have died in jail?  I'm not sure wether he would have been released as he attempted to escape a few times during was detained at the Governor's pleasure due to his crime. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Prison Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the best online forum for family history help.

In Australia,  each state has its own set of criminal laws.  They also have strict privacy and strict access to official records.  I will ask our Moderator to move your thread to the Australia board where it will catch the eyes of some experienced South Australian experts.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Send me a PM to seek my express permission to use any information I post. Wait for my reply, do not take for granted you have any authority to copy paste my words.
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Historic Prison Records South Australia
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
There was a death and funeral notice for Vernon Arthur FRY aged 74 years, published in The Advertiser on 12 Jan 2009.  He died on 9 Jan 2009

If I recall correctly, SA prison records are restricted for 100 years. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skydancer48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cando, your information will be very useful. May I ask, how you found that information?  Was it through BDM ? I would love to know if he was ever released from prison, started a family, or if he died there. I am also researching through Trove and Ancestry at the moment but coming up with nothing. Any pointers in where to look would be gratefully appreciated. But again thankyou so much for the information supplied.

Offline Skydancer48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou JM for putting my post where it may be of more help, and for the information supplied.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I've given you the source of the information.  The Advertiser, Adelaide.

If you are in Adelaide you could look up the notice at the State Library or request a copy if you live outside the metropolitan area.

In South Australia access to death certificates is restricted for thirty years.  Cost of a death certificate today is $49.75

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
From my resource The South Australian Police Gazette  24 Dec 1947

MISSING FRIENDS
HIGHBURY VERNON FRY, SA  13 years, 5ft 2 in., strong build, dark complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, pimples on forehead, wearing navy blue striped long trousers, blue shirt with collar attached, grey tweed sports coat, check pattern, black shoes, grey sock, no hat; missing from his home at Highbury since 19 Dec 1947.  Inquiry on behalf of Miran Neale, foster parent, residing as above.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Bankruptcy notices inc. addresses for 1987, 1993, 1996
https://trove.nla.gov.au/gazette/result?q=%22Vernon+Arthur+Fry%22&sortby=dateAsc

Offline Skydancer48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 December 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Cando and Matthew. You have been a great help. Well, one mystery solved.. he obviously was released from gaol as the bankruptcy petition shows. Again appreciate your help 👍