Author Topic: Dis- and advantages of adding a tree to DNA results  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Dis- and advantages of adding a tree to DNA results
« on: Sunday 30 December 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I've got my test results on various sites, but with no accompanying tree.  I don't want my research stolen. Should I,

A. Stop worrying and provide it as completely as possible.
B. Just provide basic pedigree.
C. Not provide it?

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline uk4753

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dis- and advantages of adding a tree to DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
B.

Otherwise, why take the tests at all?

:)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
B.

Otherwise, why take the tests at all?

:)

I agree with this, but even then it can be hard work getting responses.

There again if no one put a tree up where would we be?

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gt Gt Grandfather Shepherd from Aberdeen 1827-1910
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I've got my test results on various sites, but with no accompanying tree.  I don't want my research stolen. Should I,

A. Stop worrying and provide it as completely as possible.
B. Just provide basic pedigree.
C. Not provide it?

Martin

I understand your concerns. I was in the same boat as you when I first did the DNA test. Once bitten etc - I'd had my tree well and truly hijacked by more than one person in the Genes Reunited days. At first I put a full tree on Ancestry but made it private, then I came to the same conclusion as the other replies. I compromised by including a public tree which contained the main 'players' in my tree but didn't include the 'peripherals'.

I'd like to say its made a difference, but I'd be lying! I could already make the private tree available for others to see if we'd already made contact and - quite honestly - most people are either lazy or just plain ignorant. I don't think I've ever been contacted by anyone on Ancestry DNA - its always been me doing the contacting, and then I'd guess that more than 50% of those don't bother to reply.

Perhaps I've just been unlucky but I think this is about par for the course for everyone.

So, my advice would be:- be prepared to be the instigator of any contact you want to make and don't bother too much about the tree - just put up a few names and locations.

I hope I'm not being too curmudgeonly (my favourite word of the moment) and pessimistic - I've had quite a lot of success finding relatives through DNA testing, including a couple of natural fathers but I have put the hours in!!  ::)

What's that old saying? You have to speculate in order to accumulate!
BRICKWALL - WILLIAM HORWOOD bn c.1779 in or near Berks. N.B. NOT s/o William & Joanna in Waltham St Lawrence.

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
I had contact ONCE  from my Nephew.. who I have known since the day he was born..

xin

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I went for option B, because just about ever one here complains about matches not having a tree online
didn't make any difference, I still have to make the first contact and as I can't see their trees (the two or three that have one), it feels kinda pointless.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Can't see the point of doing all that research into your ancestry and then hiding it away. Yes, I've done lots of work on mine and spent some money too, but I want that work to be recorded not to die with me. If somebody else benefits from the work I've done so what, maybe they will take it a stage farther.
Ray

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Yep, as others as said put up a basic gedcom.

I have my DNA/Gedcom and on all the DNA sites. What I do is add a basic Gedcom, which I updated (replace with a new one) every 6 months, 1 year or whenever i feel like it.

There is no reason not put one up. Living folks are removed/kept private and you are only using basic BMD info anyway.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline kinnigit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I'd go for A or B if you want to get the best from your DNA results. I find more people are initiating messages regarding matches these days.  There was an initial problem that Ancestry wouldn't notify you of a new message so that if you didn't notice the icon changing you wouldn't know you had a new message. This seems to be fixed now.
I personally don't bother contacting anyone with a private tree as they generally won't reply. Matches with no trees also are low priority.
I believe in sharing my research as knowledge grows when it is shared and verifiable facts can't be "stolen".