Author Topic: Dis- and advantages of adding a tree to DNA results  (Read 5402 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Dis- and advantages of adding a tree to DNA results
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks diplodicus, Margaret and Gadget.  I didn't expect much to be shown but wondered if a list of surnames was perhaps provided.  I may have to consider whether to make it public or not. :-\  There are no sources on it so shouldn't get indexed by Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
FTDNA site allows for a tree and surname interests to be added to their DNA site

Gedmatch of course allows for gedcoms to be added or trees

MyHeritage also have the option of adding trees and surname interests
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David, having tested only with Ancestry was wondering whether surnames were provided for matches even for private trees.  May have to wait and see what I get shown when the results are in and decide whether to make the tree public or not.  Not planning on the others although may consider gedmatch possibly.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David, having tested only with Ancestry was wondering whether surnames were provided for matches even for private trees.  Not planning on the others although may consider gedmatch possibly.
FTDNA you can just add surname interests alone. Or you can add trees that are private

Gedmatch dont have a surname interest feature but do have a DNA+Gedcom matching feature ie if a person you match with has a Gedcom AND matches you you can visit it. But be warned some have minimal information or a full tree. It is pot luck ( as other sites are)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 January 19 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David, having tested only with Ancestry was wondering whether surnames were provided for matches even for private trees.  May have to wait and see what I get shown when the results are in and decide whether to make the tree public or not.  Not planning on the others although may consider gedmatch possibly.

If you are possibly going to use Gedmatch, you may as well use ftDNA and myheritageDNA as well. Fish in as many ponds as possible.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 January 19 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Also make sure you go to Gedmatch Genesis (beta). You can get to it via the ordinary Gedmatch or just transfer to it automatically. It's accepting a wider range of tests.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Margaret and Gadget, I'll think about it when the results get back.

Offline BristolClark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 January 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I'd go with 'A' but often feel as if the answer should be 'B.'

I hardly ever get any returns on my messages. Those that do often have full trees, or close enough, and we're usually able to figure out our connection, if not clear at first glance.

I've come to the conclusion that most take DNA tests without wanting to bother about connecting. I'm just very glad I finally managed to find out my paternal surname that had eluded me for so long.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 January 19 20:51 GMT (UK) »
That must be so rewarding and meaningful.  Could you expand on " I finally managed to find out my paternal surname that had eluded me for so long. "

Martin