Author Topic: Thompson, Davis & Fitzgerald families in Parkes & Forbes NSW districts  (Read 870 times)

Offline Ed Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thompson, Davis & Fitzgerald families in Parkes & Forbes NSW districts
« on: Monday 31 December 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
200 years of Fitzgerald
On the 13th January 1819, Thomas Edward Fitzgerald landed on the “Tyne” convict ship from England. 
As a fifteen year old he had been convicted of stealing a trunk and was subsequently sent to the colonies in 1818. He was born in 1798 (exact date unknown) in Dublin, Ireland and died at Forbes NSW on 17.9.1878 at Camp Hill, Forbes. His gravesite was lost when bushfires burnt the wooden crosses.
Known only as Thomas at this time he was married by Reverend Samuel Marsden at St John’s Church of England, Parramatta to Mary Gormon on 18.11.1828 (and then later to Mary Grumbley???).
His children: Ann   b 6.3.1830   d 7.5.1868 at Parkes married  James Thompson c 1848 at Carcoar
   Their children: Richard, James, Ann, Edward, Catherine, Phillip, Gertrude, Robert
   Margaret b 11.9.1831 d c. 1925 at Parkes married  Robert Davis (Drummond) at Parkes
Their children: Robert, Edwin, Frederick, Thomas, Elizabeth
m. Thomas Reed at Carcoar, no issue
   Richard   b 1.9.1833 not married, killed 12.11.1913 by a falling tree at Tichbourne
   Edward b 13.2.1839 Sydney d 19.8.1839
   Mark   b 21.3.1841 (mother Mary Grumbley)  d 2.1.1920 married Elizabeth Keeley in Church of England 27.12.1861. Elizabeth was born 1845 at Maitland and died 2.5.1863 Her father James Keeley, a stonemason. One child, deceased.
      2nd marriage to Annabelle Thorpe 19.3.1866.
   Mark (or “Marck”on his baptism certificate) was a boy at Bathurst and went subsequently to goldfields at Turon, then Kiandra, Adelong, Lambing Flat near Young, then to Forbes where he met Annabelle a school teacher. They opened a hotel in 1874 at Moonbi between Forbes and Condobolin which burnt down, believe to be uninsured. They then moved back to Forbes where Mark was appointed manager of the famous “Bluejacket Mine”. In 1890 they took up land at “Uplands”, 4 miles east of Wamboyne.
To mark 200 years of our first Australian landed ancestor arriving at Port Jackson we plan to meet in Sydney on 13th January 2019 near where this first family was raised. Please reply if you  believe you may have a connection to these roots.   Many thanks Ed Fitzgerald

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson, Davis & Fitzgerald families in Parkes & Forbes NSW districts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 18 01:17 GMT (UK) »
I am not a descendant, but I am NSW centric, particularly re Calare and The Lachlan.   I have been known to feature my Condo Socks  :)

Here's the newspaper obit for your Mark FITZGERALD for others reading this thread.  I wish you every success for your 200th anniversary event.  Likely the ship of arrival was moored in the Harbour and they were rowed to the steps on the western side ...  :)   near the then new Cadman's Cottage  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/213788239 Lachlander etc 21 Jan 1920

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ed Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Majm for your response. I had previously seen an obituary published in the West Wyalong Advocate for great great grandfather Mark but had not seen this version, again many thanks.
Also the additional info re Cadmans cottage.
BTW what are Condo socks?
Ta
Ed

Offline Stevohamill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I believe I am a descendant of Catherine - daughter of James Thompson and Ann Fitzgerald who were married in Carcoar in 1848. Catherine was born in Adelong and James listed as a miner on her birth certificate so they must’ve headed that way with Mark.

She married twice after becoming a widow: James Andrew Flanagan in 1882 Parkes (2 children Jessie and James) and James Ebzery in 1898 in Glebe. She had one child with James born in Parkes - John Leo Ebzery