Author Topic: Mystery about Great Great Grandfather  (Read 5914 times)

Offline mikegh1109

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery about Great Great Grandfather
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
it may be that his father was George and the registrar just assumed the surnames matched

My great great grandfather (George Fido) was illegitamate, his father (from baptism) is Thomas Williams however one of his marriage certificates the father is down as Thomas Fido (who doesn't exist) on another it's Thomas Williams (George was widowed) - all I can think of is on one marriage he was asked for his father's name and said Thomas and they wrote it down assuming they had the same Surname

Thanks.  More food for thought! That's possible. But I've been unable to find a George Hollis who fits.

I was meaning that the father could be George something else - maybe even the George Pegg he's with on two censuses as a child

Yes I understand what you mean now. Thanks

Offline mikegh1109

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery about Great Great Grandfather
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
How old was Hannah Hollis when William was born?

Unfortunately I don't yet know who precisely Hannah Hollis is.  I only found out her name a couple of weeks ago when I obtained William's birth certificate.  There have been one or two possibilities given by the helpful folks on here but no firm conclusion. Sorry I can't give you an answer. I would love one myself!