Author Topic: Seeking help to find burial of a soldier in Essex  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Woodster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seeking help to find burial of a soldier in Essex
« on: Monday 31 December 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am reaching out on Roots Web because I am researching a soldier and trying to find his burial location so the Commonwealth War Graves Commission can provide a headstone for him

Alfred George Cooper was born in First Quarter 1886 in Nottingham. He enlisted into the 2nd / 7th (Robin Hood) Battalion, Notts. and Derbys. on 26th October 1914 and served with the battalion from his enlistment through to serving in Ireland in 1916. On 19th August 1916, he was transferred to the 29th Provisional Battalion, which had been formed for home service, at this time it was based in Essex. On the morning of 25th September 1916, Cooper was seen by No. 4 Travelling Medical Board at Walton on the Naze, and classified B2.

On the afternoon of the same day, he and two Privates left their billets in Kirby Cross, Essex to report to 'C' Company Headquarters in Kirby Le Soken where they were scheduled to undertake guard duty. As he and the two other Privates passed Kirby School, Cooper fell on his face, when he was turned over, he was unconscious and was pronounced dead from heart failure shortly thereafter. He was aged 29 when he died.

Cooper became an 'In From The Cold' case and in 2014 was recognised as dying on military service and is now remembered on the Brookwood 1914-1918 Memorial.

All very straight forward, but one thing remains outstanding, where was Cooper buried at the time?

His service records have survived, and whilst these include a report from Captain F E Mason. his Company CO, reporting on the inquest into his death, there is no mention as to where he was buried. It was probable that his remains were returned to his wife Elsie for burial in Nottingham, or buried locally but where?

There is also possibility that he was buried under the wrong name. In his report, Mason lists him as '3228 Pt. Cooper A.J.' although his name is confirmed as Alfred George from his birth and marriage register entries and his Census entries for 1891,1901 and 1911.The website 'Find a Grave' only shows the mention of Cooper on the Brookwood Memorial, and 'www.deceasedonline.com' only shows six burials of an Alfred Cooper in 1916, of which only one is an Alfred George, who was buried in Southwark on 15th September 1916, ie before 'our' Cooper died, and two Alfred John Cooper's who both died earlier in 1916. To confuse matters, his death was registered at Tendring, the  registration district for both Kirby and Kirby Le Soken as 'A.J Cooper' presumably based on the information supplied from his unit. I have sent off for his death certificate

I have used the FindMyPast newpaper records online but can find no mention of his death being reported in 1916 during September or October in either the Nottingham, or Essex press.

Possible parishes are Walton on the Naze, Kirby – Le – Soken, Great Holland, Thorpe-Le-Soken and Colchester?
Attached is his Death Certificate. Grateful for any help please.

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to find burial of a soldier in Essex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Only a thought.  There is another address in the NOK area, not very readable - c/o Mrs Marks (?) Flawford (?) Cottage Fl..something - which seems to supersede the Nottingham address?  Hardly the clearest of clues but may indicate where the widow was if not Nottingham?

MaxD

Probably to be filed under chocolate teapots. :)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Woodster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MaxD I'll see if I can make anything of that  :)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Using SEAX, at the Essex Record Office
ONLY C of E churches records are on line
Not at Kirby le Soken

Walton le Soken at the ERO ends at March 1914, the parish may still have the subsequent register

Walton on Naze did not have a C of E church

Thorpe le Soken burials stop at 1887. You would have to ask the Essex Record Office if the parish has another register, or the current Clerk of the parish.

Colchester, all churches associated with the barracks begin after WWI.
The majority of the churches stopped burials 1875 through 1895. St Giles stopped 1909.
Not found at St Paul or St. Michael.

Looking as athough he was returned to Nottingham.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Only a thought.  There is another address in the NOK area, not very readable - c/o Mrs Marks (?) Flawford (?) Cottage Fl..something - which seems to supersede the Nottingham address?  Hardly the clearest of clues but may indicate where the widow was if not Nottingham?

MaxD

There is a village called Flawford near Ruddington, Nottinghamshire.  The 1911 shows 2 addresses called "Flawford Cottages" Ruddington.  The surnames of the people there at that time are Crosland and Crosby, but there may have been different occupants by 1916.  Alfred's wife's maiden name was Elsie M Martin - so not her family. 

Could the "Mrs. Marks" on the NOK be Mrs. Martin?
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Well sleuthed Jool !! Martin a  better guess than mine, it is longer than Marks.  That is now where I would be looking.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Woodster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Using SEAX, at the Essex Record Office
ONLY C of E churches records are on line
Not at Kirby le Soken

Walton le Soken at the ERO ends at March 1914, the parish may still have the subsequent register

Walton on Naze did not have a C of E church

Thorpe le Soken burials stop at 1887. You would have to ask the Essex Record Office if the parish has another register, or the current Clerk of the parish.

Colchester, all churches associated with the barracks begin after WWI.
The majority of the churches stopped burials 1875 through 1895. St Giles stopped 1909.
Not found at St Paul or St. Michael.

Looking as athough he was returned to Nottingham.

Thanks very much for this. My actions from this are to write to the Churches at Kirby le Soken, Walton le Soken and Thorpe le Soken I think.  I've taken a good look at Nottingham possibilities previously but drawn a blank - but will have another try.

Offline Woodster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »

MaxD

There is a village called Flawford near Ruddington, Nottinghamshire.  The 1911 shows 2 addresses called "Flawford Cottages" Ruddington.  The surnames of the people there at that time are Crosland and Crosby, but there may have been different occupants by 1916.  Alfred's wife's maiden name was Elsie M Martin - so not her family. 

Could the "Mrs. Marks" on the NOK be Mrs. Martin?

Thanks Jool - I'll need to contact the Church at Ruddington as they don't have anything online beyond 1900. Another avenue to explore - thanks

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The ERO has all the records of the Colchester Cemetery that would include 1916 but they are not on line, you would have to request a look up.
Perhaps someone reading this lives locally and can do a look up for you.
I've always had good luck with enquiries at the ERO and an email to ask if he is listed shouldn't cost much.