Author Topic: Lilias Dalglish Lamond bc 1851  (Read 8410 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lilias Dalglish Lamond bc 1851
« Reply #54 on: Friday 12 February 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
In case you are wondering about the owner of the original "Dalglish" surname.

My father told me a story about a benefactor.  This man and his wife had not been blessed with children, thus he had no heir to leave his fortune to. He put it about that any couple who would give his name to one of their sons would be his heir and there would be a remuneration for a girl named in favour of his wife.

My father recounted that when the benefactor died of old age his brother promptly married a young servant girl and they produced children to inherit their deceased uncle's fortune.

The benefactor who died was Andrew Stephenson Dalglish, his wife was Lilias Dalglish (ms Crum), with a lovely house in Helensburgh, and the brother was Robert Dalglish, MP.   It seems to me that your Lamond family knew the Dalglish family.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lilias Dalglish Lamond bc 1851
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 13 February 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting Rena-I shall add your words to my tree about her. I've a few Dalgliesh's in my tree but mainly from Borthwick but Lilias is not a direct ancestor, her husband Peter Berrie Henderson was my 3rd cousin, 3R.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.