Author Topic: Looking for Cohens, - help please!  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for Cohens, - help please!
« on: Tuesday 01 January 19 10:47 GMT (UK) »

I wasn't sure which Board to put this on, and so will Post here.

I've been trying to find my late Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) anywhere, since I joined RC in 2005. He says he was Born in Manchester, Lancs but I've never been able to find a Birth or Baptism for him. He's quite easy to find after he married my Grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in 1893. (I have the Marriage cert). On this Cert he gives his Father as 'William Wilson (Deceased) Occupation: Mason'. Again, I've never been able to find his Father anywhere definate. I have my Grandfather on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Swansea, and on both he says that he was Born in Manchester. He Died in Hendon on the 29th December 1937 aged 77yrs.

After fruitless years of looking, I took a DNA test, and managed to persuade my sister and cousins from both sides of my family to also test. From this I was able to isolate down the Jewish DNA that I, my sister and two paternal cousins share, as coming from the Wilson side of my family. (Between 4 and 9%).

I've now had a reply via GEDMatch, from someone in the USA who has a DNA Match to me on her paternal side.

Her Father's Great-Grandfather was born in London in 1824; his name was Jacob Cohen. Jacob's father, Hart Levy Cohen, was born in Amsterdam in the late 18th century and immigrated to England as a young man. Both Hart and Jacob had left England by 1850. So they did not father a son in England in 1860. In fact, all of Jacob's siblings had left England by 1850.  Perhaps Hart had siblings in England, but she's had no luck finding any.

I'm trying to see if I can find Jacob Cohen or Hart Levy Cohen in London between 1824 and 1850, and see if they left any relatives behind in England when they emigrated to the USA.

A bit of a tall order I know, - but if anyone could point me in the right direction, - it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Cohens, - help please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
You might get some ideas/help here:

https://www.jewishgen.org/

http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/

I sympathise; a DNA test proved a Jewish link (my avatar) but not knowing his original name I'm stuck apart from my grandpa (his first born) knowing about 2 uncles called Solly and David involved in the fur trade...….ever tried looking for a Solly or David in London in 1901/1911? ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the Links Nanny Jan, - much appreciated.

Coincidentally, I have been looking at Fur Traders recently, due to some small miniatures passed down in the family. One of them was of a Fur Broker named Skinner Row. Many Fur Traders and Dealers seemed to be Freemasons. Have you tried looking at Freemason's Records for your relatives?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The only reference I can find for Hart Cohen 1798 Cooks Court, St Botolph Aldgate, London
(Tax Redemption 10 shillings).

No trace of Jacob or Hart 1841 census.

But the name lived on, electoral rolls.

Hart Cohen 1931 Charles St. Stepney and Stoke Newington England

Also Alfred Hart Cohen from about 1925.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hadn't considered those records Romilly;  not too sure just how involved they were.....could have been quite low down in the business.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for looking Colin, - much appreciated.

I think that some of the Cohen Branch that I'm trying to find might have moved on to Leeds, (not so far from Manchester) but I'm still trying to work this out...

I think that 7% Ashkenazi DNA would indicate one Great Grandparent? But possibly further back, - I'm not sure...

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hadn't considered those records Romilly;  not too sure just how involved they were.....could have been quite low down in the business.

Anyone could be a Freemason nanny jan. It was often Trade based. Do you have a Surname though?

Romilly.
Researching:

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
My test showed 6% Ashkenazi and the only possible candidate (so far) is my gt.grandfather. He was disowned by his family, so I was told, for falling for gt.grandma.....and they never married; 10 children though. He used the name John Howard but I doubt he started life with it!

He was not involved with the fur trade but worked building train carriages/bus bodies; according to grandpa he was involved with the trade union movement but there are numerous John Howard's in those records.  ::)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »

Have you uploaded your DNA to the GEDMatch Site, Nanny Jan?

You're much more likely to get some significant Matches on there, and it has the tools to enable you to see which chromosomes your Matches share with you.

Romilly.
Researching: