Author Topic: John Fraser and Isabel Morison Kiltarlity  (Read 728 times)

Offline mrsepattison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fraser and Isabel Morison Kiltarlity
« on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am stuck on researching my husband's family tree. We have a Sally/Sarah Fraser born 27 Jul 1793 in Kiltarlity to John Fraser and Isabel Morison. However I can't seem to find anything about her parents. I can't find births or marriage for either. I believe they had another daughter called Mary born 14 Mar 1791. Can anyone help at all?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fraser and Isabel Morison Kiltarlity
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welscome to Rootschat

I think this period included the time when their was a tax on parish register entries to raise money for the Napoleonic Wars. The people concerned were baptised/married just that the events weren't entered in the register unless the fee was paid.  Thsi could have happened in this case.

Also, there were many other reasons that they weren't in the registers. See :

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Here we are :

1783-1794
Under the Stamp Act of 1783 (23 Geo. III, c.67) a tax of three pence was levied on each Church Register entry of birth, baptism or marriage, except for paupers. The parson or other receiving the tax was allowed two shillings in the pound for the trouble involved. There was such a popular outcry against this tax that it was speedily repealed in 1794 (34 Geo, c.11), however it is interesting to note the sudden increase in the numbers of those declared to be paupers over this short period.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=492071.msg3495922#msg3495922
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mrsepattison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Ah that's interesting, thank you for that!